Miller and Schuldt qualify for women’s golf regionals

The Illinois women’s golf team was unable to secure a spot for NCAA regionals as a team, but freshman Stephanie Miller and senior Ember Schuldt were selected to participate as individuals at the NCAA Central Regional in Stillwater, Okla.

Miller and Schuldt are two of 18 individuals who qualified for Regionals. The Central Regional will take place from May 8-10 at Oklahoma State’s Karsten Creek Golf Club in Stillwater, Okla. Both golfers have competed in all tournaments for Illinois this season and have been the top two finishers for the team.

“It’s very exciting for both of them and they are looking forward to playing, competing, and advancing,” head coach Renee Slone said in a press release. “Especially for Ember as she is the first player in school history to advance to Regionals three times – twice with the team and once individually.”

In her freshman season, Miller has placed in the top 15 in six competitions, four in the fall season and two in the spring season. She was also the only Illini to win a tournament this season.

From Oct. 12-13, Miller joined her team at the Diane Thomason Invitational in Iowa City, Iowa. In only her third collegiate competition, she took first in a field of 73 individual golfers by shooting 3-under-par.

Schuldt has finished in the top 15 in seven competitions this season, four in the fall and three in the spring.

At the Minnesota Invitational on Sept. 16-17, Schuldt shot 7-over-par for third place. She then competed from Oct. 19-20 at the Hoosier Fall Invitational after shooting 2-over-par.

Ashley can be reached at [email protected] and @wijangco12.