Five different music venues for University students to check out

While Champaign-Urbana is most famously known for the Pygmalion Music Festival and Ellnora, there are plenty of opportunities to explore venues and see local artistson a daily basis. 

The Canopy Club 

From Flux Pavilion to Aaron Carter, The Canopy Club is famous for hosting several top-name artists. The 18+ venue is located nearby Busey-Evans, ISR and Allen Residence Halls. Whether it’s the Piano Man Band night or Monday Night House Party, this venue continues to provide entertaining nights out for students. The Canopy Club is the located right on campus at 708 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana, so it provides a fun atmosphere at any time. 

The Highdive 

In the heart of downtown Champaign, The Highdive, 51 E. Main St., Champaign, serves as a 19+ venue. It is great for a special night out with friends, and the building itself has great character. Most shows are under $20, but make sure to go early to snag a spot on the balcony.

The Krannert Center for the Performing Arts  

The center is hosted through the College of Fine and Applied Arts and students can get discounted tickets and “Hot Seat” tickets are reserved just for University students. Krannert Center is located at 500 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana, near ISR Residence Hall and provides various opportunities for entertainment, whether it’s a performance by the Illinois Theatre or an outside artist brought in.

Mike ‘N’ Molly’s 

Located at 105 N. Market St., Mike ‘N’ Molly’s serves as a great place to go when you want a relaxing bar experience to be as good as the music around you. This a great place to go to for a taste of some of Champaign-Urbana’s local artists and a chance to sit outside in the beer garden.

Cowboy Monkey 

Have a little “Sunday Funday” by heading over to Cowboy Monkey for one of their famous trivia nights. Located at 6 Taylor St., Champaign, bands, DJs and an open mic night are featured every week. This venue also serves as a great place to grab dinner with a large selection of Mexican food.

Megan is a sophomore in Media. She can be reached at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @MeganAsh_Jones.