Summer style: dress for the occasion

Libby Smith, senior in Media, sports one of her favorite summer outfits.

By Kayla Burns

There are a variety of reasons students decide to stay in Champaign after classes have ended for the summer. Between internships, jobs, classes and nights out, dressing for the occasion is important. Luckily, there are many current trends that are appropriate for work, study or play.

Seeing a girl in a sundress on a hot June day is nothing new, but that doesn’t mean the summer staple has to be average. Jessica Cain, store manager at Ragstock, said one of their biggest sellers so far has been “high-low” dresses. The trend takes a spin on the classic and ranges from dramatic to subtle, while coming in just about every color and print that you could ever imagine. Depending on the material, this style can be worn to an internship, work or for a night out.

Meghan Fabian, junior in LAS, is interning for State Farm for the summer.

“We’re supposed to look professional, so I’ve been getting creative on what to wear,” she said. “I’ve been wearing a lot of maxi skirts because they’re so comfortable but they’re nice enough for the setting I work in.”

Cain also said maxi skirts have been a popular buy. The skirts can be worn with nearly anything and are appropriate attire for whatever occasion needed.

Many of the biggest trends that have been flooding the glossy pages of fashion magazines are also showing up in stores on campus. Trends such as mesh, sheer or iridescent materials as well as fringe, crop tops and rompers can be found right on Green Street, at stores such as Urban Outfitters, Ragstock or Apricot Lane.

Libby Smith, senior in Media, is an employee at Urban Outfitters on campus. Smith explained that festival wear is still big, but it’s become lighter, which makes it easy to transition from events to everyday wear.

Smith noted that trends from last season like high-waisted pants and pieces with tributes to the ‘90s are still strong, but they’ve gone more towards a whimsical, feminine quality.

She added that, along with maxi skirts and high-low hems, rompers are not only very popular, but are also her favorite trend.

“They’re so comfortable and it’s easy to dress them up or down,” Smith said.

Along with rompers, Smith also said an important summer staple is the denim jacket.

“They’re easy to add to everything. Take a romper, for example, and add a denim jacket and heels. You’re now ready for a date.”

Kayla can be reached at [email protected].