Falling for Sweater Weather

By Annabeth Carlson

Fall is undoubtedly my favorite season. It is a time to enjoy cool, crisp days, vibrant orange and red leaves on the trees, pick apples and pumpkins with the family, crowd around a toasty bonfire for S’mores and eat all the candy corn in sight. However, the part I look most forward to is the fashion.

Each year, I love getting my beloved boots, sweaters and flannels out of storage. While I mainly stick to the classics, I always try to add a few new pieces to my wardrobe to stay current. After scoping out fashion magazines and talking to University students, I made this list of ten trends that I will add to my closet:

1. Leather Accents

Incorporating leather into your outfit is the perfect way to add some edginess and texture. Amy Stringfellow, sophomore in ACES, said leather is on her wish list ­— especially a leather backpack.

2. Plaid/Checks

According to Nylon Magazine, plaid was a major player at this year’s fall fashion shows. Plaid was featured at brands such as Rag & Bone, Altuzarra and DKNY. The pattern is almost always a fall favorite because of its comfort and versatility. This year, I want to make my plaid shirts and skirts more interesting by wearing them with light-colored summer blouses and white denim.

3. Ripped Jeans

Catherine Manci, a graduate student in LIS, says boyfriend jeans with rips are number one on her list this fall. Manci lived in Brooklyn this summer, and liked that everyone there wore them.

“New York fashion is progressive and diverse and a lot of commitment,” she said.

For people who are unsure of the baggier, boyfriend trend, you can wear ripped skinny jeans to achieve a similar look.

4. Cozy Sweaters

Personally, I think you can never have enough sweaters. I have two full bins of sweaters at home and I have to rotate them out at school so they fit in my small college closet. This year, I want to find oversized knits that I can wear with leggings, high socks and boots. To save money, I plan on “shopping” in my dad and brother’s closets.

5. Aurora Red

One of Pantone’s top 10 colors for fall 2014, Aurora Red, is a bright, cheery and tomato-like shade. It can be found on dresses, sweaters and pants, but because it is so bold, I am opting to wear it in smaller doses, with red lipstick and a red baseball cap.

6. Hats

Nothing makes an outfit look more put together than a hat. This season, wide-brimmed felt hats, beanies and baseball caps can be found everywhere. I am most excited about the baseball cap trend because I buy a new one on every vacation. They add a fun twist to classic button-downs and dresses. Before going to the store, don’t forget to check out your grandmother’s closet for vintage headpieces.

7. Booties

A new take on the classic fall boot, booties are short, fun and come in a variety of materials, like leather and suede. Stringfellow said she will be wearing booties this season because they are a great transitional piece from summer to fall. I am planning on purchasing a pair of light gray suede booties myself.

8. Animal Prints

Normally I am not a big fan of animal prints on clothing, but as pointed out by InStyle this month, fall 2014’s prints are smaller and more understated. Paired with neutrals and minimal accessories, cheetah and snakeskin prints can look elegant and chic.

9. Army Green

Army green is a must-have hue for fall clothing, according to the website The Fashion Spot. They said that military looks have been spotted on the runways of Balmain, Preen by Thornton Bregazzi and more. I think the sporty and masculine color complements women’s clothing nicely, and I am planning on wearing an army green jacket over nearly all of my fall looks.

10. Sneakers

Last but not least, sneakers are probably my favorite fall trend. They are the perfect final touch to make any outfit look effortless. Not to mention, they are functional for fall activities, like running around in a corn maze or carving pumpkins. I love to wear my white sneakers with dark pants and my grey sneakers with a summer dress and denim jacket.

Annabeth is a sophomore in Media. She can be reached at [email protected].