Illinois women’s gymnastics travels to Iowa after home victory

Illinois’ Mary Jane Horth performs a routine on the balance beam during the match against Penn State at Huff Hall on Saturday, February 1, 2015.

By Danielle Williams, Staff writer

The Illinois women’s gymnastics team won last weekend’s meet against Minnesota at Huff Hall, 196.025-193.325.

There were many career highs — sophomore Lizzy LeDuc won her third all-around title and senior Mary Jane Horth earned the bars title, tallying a 9.900. Sarah Lyons scored a 9.775 on vault. Freshman Karen Howell, who garnered her first event title at the Pink Meet, tied her season-high 9.850 on bars.

“From the very beginning the energy was high, and you could just see that the mindset was there,” head coach Kim Landrus said. “Our word for this week was discipline, and they walked in as a disciplined team from the very start to the very end and got it done.”

Up next for the Illini is a Saturday meet.

They will be competing against Iowa and UIC for the second time this season. The team won at home against UIC in January.

The Illini swept every event except for the uneven bars.

The team has been practicing a little longer than usual and working on the smaller details that they need to fix in order to bring up the group scores up.

“We need to improve some of our amplitude and executions,” Landrus said. “We’ll build up those two skills in the next few days building up to our meet. We need to make sure that everything we do this weekend is very precise.”

Howell said that they’ll be ready when championship season rolls around, but until then they need more time and experience.

“It’s not about hitting the routines anymore at this stage of the season,” Howell said. “It’s about the small details that have been passed over in the previous competitions. There’s more practice that we need to obtain before Big Tens, but in time we’ll be ready.”

The team has also been focusing on teamwork and dedicated time to team bonding activities during practice.

“In our meeting, we talked about transferring over what we are doing in practice into the competition,” Howell said. “ We do it most of the time, but there are still errors that we have to fix. Make corrections to show that we are working hard in the gym.”

@daniijaae