Nugent Hall awarded LEED Silver certification

Timothy J. Nugent Residence Hall has been awarded the LEED Silver certification for the hall’s incorporation of environmentally sustainable methods throughout the building, according to a press release.

Established by the U.S. green building council and verified by the Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI), LEED is a certification system for the design, construction and operation of green buildings in order to save money and the environment, according to the press release.

“Nugent Hall’s LEED certification demonstrates tremendous green building leadership,” said Rick Fedrizzi, President, CEO & Founding Chair, U.S. Green Building Council, in the press release. “The urgency of USGBC’s mission has challenged the industry to move faster and reach further than ever before, and Nugent Hall serves as a prime example with just how much we can accomplish.”

Energy use, lighting, water and material use are some of the areas that Nugent achieved LEED certification for, all of which has helped save money, reduce green house gas emissions, and make a healthier environment for the community, according to the press release.

“We are very pleased that Nugent Hall, in addition to being a model of accessibility, is also a model of environmental sustainability,” said John E. Collins, director of University Housing at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, in the press release.

Features, according to the press release, that Nugent Hall incorporated include:

• More than 20 percent of the materials used for the project were manufactured and harvested within a 500-mile radius from the site, including the concrete and brick; which helps support the local economy, reduces transportation costs and negative environmental impacts
  • Over 10 percent of the products used in construction contain recycled content
  • The white reflective roof was designed to reduce solar heat absorption, keeping the environment cooler and using less energy for air conditioning
  • The wall and roof insulation were selected for its ability to keep cold or hot temperatures out, promoting a comfortable temperature inside and lowering the heating/cooling costs
  • The landscape is designed with native and drought-tolerant plants to reduce dependency on potable water; also low-flow plumbing fixtures were also utilized to reduce water consumption by over 20 percent.
  • Light fixtures use low-energy wattage lamps to conserve energy.
  • More than 80 percent of the construction waste was recycled, reducing landfill waste
  • Indoor Air Quality measures were implemented during the construction process to achieve a high level of cleanliness and air quality, improving efficiency
  • Low-VOC (volatile organic compound) products, including paints, coatings, adhesives, and sealants, were chosen to increase indoor air quality