Kangaroo Court releases debut single ‘Something’s Gotta Give’

Local+band%2C+Kangaroo+Court%2C+releases+single+%E2%80%98Something%E2%80%99s+Gotta+Give%E2%80%99+on+April+8.+The+group+showcases+its+psychedelic%2C+indie+music+across+the+C-U+area+from+house+shows+to+The+Canopy+Club+in+addition+to+streaming+services.+

Photo courtesy of Kangaroo Court

Local band, Kangaroo Court, releases single ‘Something’s Gotta Give’ on April 8. The group showcases its psychedelic, indie music across the C-U area from house shows to The Canopy Club in addition to streaming services.

By Isabelle Bertolini, Staff Writer

Champaign-Urbana is home to a fairly large music and DIY scene. Every week, there are house shows and venue shows that include both local bands as well as other artists on tour. 

Although it formed late last year, Kangaroo Court has already begun making its mark in the C-U area. The band has four members: Jake Luce who has taken on rhythm guitar and vocals, Garrett Frank on lead guitar, Noah Tennison on bass and Cody Spiezio on drums. All members have attended, or currently attend, the University.

Kangaroo Court is energetic and loud, and its lyrics accurately describe feelings that are hard to pin injust one word. Its psychedelic indie sound is similar to The Strokes, King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard or even a more garage-rock version of old Two Door Cinema Club’s tracks. 

On April 8, Kangaroo Court released its debut single, “Something’s Gotta Give.” The grunge track has a perfect balance of fast and slow tempos that transition at all the right moments. The relatively slow moments make for a perfect chorus to roar the lyrics to. 

“For all the voices left unheard, that can’t afford to live. The pot has been stirred, and something’s gonna give, something’s gotta give. Oh, it’s gotta give, something’s … ” Luce sings in the track. The slower chorus is then brought up to speed with a killer riff using guitar and drums.

The band continues to build up the tension toward the middle of the song with moments of just drums and vocals and some light guitar building up to an explosion of everyone in the band rocking out. 

The debut single is available on all streaming platforms. Additionally, the band is working on its debut album, one which we will hopefully see this year.

Although there is no music video out, Kangaroo Court’s Spotify track features an awesome shot of Luce jamming out on his guitar in slow-motion. 

The group has absolutely nailed the indie garage-punk sound, making listeners feel like they are at one of the band’s shows, even when listening with earphones. The gritty guitar riffs, strong bass and drum transitions to subtle beat drops entice listeners to let loose and jam out. 

In mid-November of 2021, Kangaroo Court opened for Post Animal at The Canopy Club. The band previewed all of its original songs as well as a cover of “Fell In Love With a Girl” by The White Stripes. Kangaroo Court had previously played in a variety of house shows with other local Champaign-Urbana bands. 

Kangaroo Court represents Midwest garage-punk well. There is no doubt that the heavy bass, awesome drum work, dynamic vocals and harmonies will be show-stopping during its live performances.

The music scene and the DIY scene, specifically in Urbana, are incredibly supportive of all types of artists. It is a great area for live shows, especially for newer artists looking to perform. Some well-known house show Instagram accounts that are focused in the Champaign-Urbana area are: @halfhouse.shows, @waluigismansion_cu, @thecollectivemagazine and @the_spicerackofficial. Their accounts are regularly updated with venue and artist information.

If you’re looking to check out more of Kangaroo Court, you can keep up with them on their Instagram (@kangaroocourtmusic) and Facebook where they keep up to date with their upcoming shows along with other information.