Expect these calls from your student

By Kayla Brown, assistant buzz editor

Parents, you have spent the last 18 years taking care of your children and teaching them valuable lessons and skills to carry with them for years to come. Whether your student is leaving home for their freshman year or their senior year, they are bound to need your help when they come across an unfamiliar task or situation because honestly, none of us listened to any of the great advice you’ve given us. You’re sure to get a phone call (or 12) every couple of days when your student is really stumped. Here’s what you can expect.

“Where do I put the laundry detergent in the washing machine?”

For the students who never touched a load of laundry growing up, learning how to do it on their own in an unfamiliar place might be a difficult task. If I had a dollar for every time the washing machines in my dorm freshman year were flooded or broken because someone couldn’t load it properly, I would have been able to afford to send my dirty laundry home every week.

“What medicine should I take to make this go away?”

In college, your students are exposed to many people every single day, and they’re bound to get sick at some point. Their entire lives, Mom and Dad have been there to take care of them when this happens, but now your student is alone and chances are they have no idea what remedies to use for a cold, flu or headache.

“How long do I cook this for?”

If your student is living in their own house or apartment for the first time this year, they will be cooking for themselves more often than when they lived in the dorms. Recipes only take us so far, so expect phone calls every time your student attempts to make something new and it goes horribly wrong.

“What’s my social security number?”

If your student plans on working this semester, they will most likely need their social security number to apply for jobs, and they most likely forgot it. Most of us have not yet realized the importance of having our social security card or knowing that number, so bear with us and have it on hand just in case.

Even when our questions seem silly (Mom, I’m sorry I called you to asked how to make hard boiled eggs this year), be patient with your student. Living alone for the first time seems exciting in the beginning, but we’re learning how to be a real adults. We still need you to hold our hand sometimes, so please answer the phone.

Kayla is a junior in Media.