Illini Recommends: ‘Mafia II’ (2010)

By Aidan Finn

What do you imagine when you think of the American Dream? 

Many would imagine the picturesque scene of a big family in a backyard summer barbeque—the picket-fenced suburban home in a peaceful neighborhood. A young lad leaves home to make a career in the new world. All images reaffirm the belief in American prosperity and tranquility. 

Then there’s “Mafia II.”

The sequel to the 2002 title “Mafia” by 2K Czech, “Mafia II” is a disturbed and dark tale of the American dream. A derivative of the “Godfather: Part II” (anything that’s derivative of a Francis Ford Coppola film is already on the right track), the game follows the life of Sicilian immigrant Vito Scaletta. Vito is fresh off the boat in 1940’s Hell’s Kitchen, New York. In a rough, impoverished environment, Vito turns to petty crime with his local friend Joe as a means of escape. His escapades get him thrown in jail, only to be then thrown into the raging WWII. He doesn’t let up his petty antics and is discharged back to his hometown, only to find his family being hounded by loan sharks, and his once poor friend Joe is now a fearsome footsoldier of the Falcone crime

family. What starts as a simple job to make rent snowballs into a 10-12 hour storyline chronicling Vito’s rise from a nobody to being a “made man.” 

Where “Mafia II” stands out compared to the sea of open-world crime games of the early 2010s is in how grounded and slow the game can be. Many games like “Saints Row: The Third” or “Sleeping Dogs” lead players on a high-octane adventure full of rocket launchers, flying cars, and licensed Kayne West music. In “Mafia II,” there’s a mission where you drive to a friend’s house, say hello and have a beer together, then drive home and go to sleep. 

Now, why am I praising something boring on the surface level? Well, would you call “Goodfellas” an action epic? “A Bronx Tale” an adrenaline-filled adventure? No, and neither would I call “Mafia II” an action/adventure game. It’s a full-blown period piece drama. It’s rare when high budget games set aside chaotic set pieces for a storyline primarily consisting of dialogue. “LA Noire,” Rockstar’s 1950’s detective drama, received poor reviews from audiences at the time for the slow pace and lack of action. That’s like walking into a David Lynch movie and being mad there are no explosions. 

“Mafia II” is a modern classic that stands the test of time and is available on modern platforms like Xbox One and PS4 in a definitive remaster. If you’re in the mood for some good period drama, “Mafia II” will make you an offer you can’t refuse. 

Mafia II is available on Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4 and PC.