Leon Bridges’ new album derives inspiration from R&B, alt-rock, hip-hop

Photo Courtesy of Genius

Leon Bridges new album cover “Gold Digger Sound” is shown above.

By Raina Kutliroff, Staff Writer

Leon Bridges fans have been waiting patiently for his newest album that was released in late July. “Gold-Diggers Sound” amplifies Leon’s smooth vocals and has a more alt-rock sound compared to his last album, “Good Thing,” which was more acoustic-based. “Gold-Diggers Sound” features 11 unique tracks, each with the original classy Leon Bridges’ tone.

Seemingly taking notes from current music trends, Bridges’ new album highlights some popular sounds that may sound familiar to some fans while adding the use of the famous Leon Bridges’ saxophone and other jazz and blues instruments. The name of the album, “Gold-Diggers Sound,” comes from the hotel where the album was originally recorded: a hotel, bar and studio in East Hollywood that goes by the same name.

Fans’ excitement for “Gold-Diggers Sound” was sparked after the release of a new full-length record back in May. The choice to release “Motorbike” early and give fans of preview of what the rest of the tone of the album would sound like was a smart decision.

“Motorbike,” the second song on the album, perfectly captures the album’s rhythm and blues and alt-rock-inspired sounds. The ’80s style high notes give the song a sense of familiarity and nostalgia while the synth beats are inspired by current alt-rock trends.

“Steam” is more alt and ’80s inspired with the use of electronic instruments. “Why Don’t You Touch Me” gives fans more of the 2018-era Leon Bridges, whose silky voice is the perfect backdrop for this romantic love song.

“Don’t Worry” features vocalist and songwriter Ink. This song is a catchy guitar-focused track, but Ink’s incredible vocals overshadow Leon Bridges’ vocals as he sings quietly throughout the album and not as full-blown as Ink does in this song. However, the fun trumpets that close out the song nearly make up for the fact.

The second half of the album starts off with “Details,” an ode to someone Bridges once loved and continues to showcase those alternative sounds. “Sho Nuff” picks up with a catchy guitar tune and Bridges’ sweet falsetto tones. Throughout the album, the songwriting skills seem to get better and better with each track.

Newcomer Terrace Martin helps Bridges out on “Sweeter,” which is more R&B focused, with some hip-hop-inspired sounds. The album closes itself out with “Blue Mesas,” an epic ballad that opens with a deep, melancholy cello. This track feels different from the rest of the songs on this album as it has more of a jazzy feel to it along with the R&B, rock and alt sounds.

“Gold-Diggers Sound” seems to be a work of alt-rock that — while impressive in itself — nearly fails to capture Leon Bridges’ impeccable vocal ability. The album highlights a talented production team and unique synth beats and other electronic instruments, but it would be even more impressive if Bridges’ beautiful vocals were showcased more like they were in his previous albums.

Bridges’ swagger gives his songs the unique flair that other R&B artists strive for. “Gold-Diggers Sound” takes the classy R&B beats of Frank Ocean and the smooth, sweet tone of Sam Cooke and will have fans excitedly waiting for his next release.