Best of CU: Best date spot

By Alexis Ramirez, Contributing Writer

The College of Agricultural, Consumer & Environmental Sciences describes the University of Illinois Arboretum as an “exceptional living laboratory,” but it’s also been voted as the best “loving laboratory” in the Champaign-Urbana area. Test your connection as you stroll through the 160 acres of natural beauty it has to offer. Experiment with a change of pace from urban date nights with your significant other.

The grounds are home to nine different gardens. The Noel Welcome Garden’s natural enclosure offers an intimate space for conversation and an invitation to explore further. The Miles C. Hartley Selections Garden to the east lies at the heart of the Arboretum; and with its octagonal arrangement of colorful flower beds, it may just help you capture your date’s heart. The best time of year to visit the Hartley is currently July through October, but plans are underway to convert it to a four-season garden.

On sunny summer mornings, the Oak Grove offers a beautiful sight as sunlight filters through the canopy. Take a break from your walk, and stop by the gazebo where you can imagine your future wedding. The Grove and the Hartley are popular venues.

In mid-April, the cherry blossom season draws visitors to the Japan House and adjacent Sen Cherry Tree Allée for flower viewing. What could possibly be more romantic than a stroll through cherry blossom petals dancing in the wind?

The University of Illinois Arboretum at the corner of Lincoln and Florida avenues is open daily from sunrise to sunset. Admission is free.