The Literary celebrates 1st birthday in C-U

People+browse+and+take+in+the+environment+that+The+Literary+offers.+The+bookbar%2C+located+on+Neil+Street+in+downtown+Champaign%2C+celebrated+their+one+year+anniversary+on+Oct.+6.+

Caroline Sweeney

People browse and take in the environment that The Literary offers. The bookbar, located on Neil Street in downtown Champaign, celebrated their one year anniversary on Oct. 6.

By Caroline Sweeney, Contributing Writer

Just over a year ago, the Literary opened its doors to anyone with an affinity for any level of literature. Alongside books, the “bookbar” serves coffee, cocktails and wine, paired with a long list of pastries on the menu. There’s even brunch and lunch throughout the day.

A year later and The Literary is still on Neil St. in Champaign, thriving and celebrating its first birthday with the Champaign-Urbana community.

On Thursday, the combination bookstore, cafe and bar was buzzing with commotion as people trickled in for the celebration.

For its first year anniversary, the store set the tone with local food and themed drinks. Live jazz music from The Ben Goldman Trio complemented the fresh food, cake and coffee served by Hopscotch Bakery + Market.

Remington Rock, general manager of The Literary, mentioned how Hopscotch Bakery was something that drew her to work at the bookstore. She also talked about the celebration for the bookbar’s one year anniversary.

“I heard about Hopscotch, and I was really excited about that collaboration,” Rock said.

The Literary stands out from other bookstores with the variety of events it offers, including book clubs, author visits, children’s story times and more. The store draws a big crowd with the events, and also offers non-literary events like movie nights.

“It just kind of seemed like a dream come true: independent local business, women owned, books, brunch and a bar,” Rock said. “It’s been everything I’ve hoped for and more.”

The Literary is set apart from other bookstores by not only the fact that it serves brunch and has a bar, but with the people who work there. Rock said she is “really proud” of The Literary’s employees.

“I’m always really proud of the staff and how knowledgeable and supportive and just so wise and smart they are,” Rock said. “They’re honestly really great at recommending and talking about books.”

Frequent visitor, Alyson Bell, talked about her own personal experience in the bookstore.

“I love the ambience of it, and I think it’s lovely that you can get a glass of wine and wander around and look at all the amazing books that are available,” Bell said.“I think it’s a special place where you can have a meal, a cup of coffee or glass of wine, and sort of just wander around.”