Miley Cyrus’ breakup anthem ‘Flowers’ sparks fan theories about ex-marriage

With+her+first+single+released+in+over+a+year%2C+Miley+Cyrus+claimed+the+record+for+most+streams+in+a+week+in+Spotifys+history.+Flowers+released+on+Jan.+13+and+by+Jan.+19%2C+it+had+already+amassed+over+129+million+streams%2C+according+to+Billboard.+

Photo courtesy of genius

With her first single released in over a year, Miley Cyrus claimed the record for most streams in a week in Spotify’s history. “Flowers” released on Jan. 13 and by Jan. 19, it had already amassed over 129 million streams, according to Billboard.

By Caroline Sweeney, Staff Writer

Miley Cyrus debuted her newest song at No. 1 in the U.K., which is now also the most-streamed song in a single week in Spotify’s history.

Cyrus’ new single came out on Jan. 13, alongside a music video. Fans were elated because she hasn’t released a new single since 2021. It was also announced at the beginning of the year that there would also be a new album titled “Endless Summer Vacation” from Cyrus on March 10.

However, there are quite a few fan theories that have taken over the internet in the past few days.

As many know, Cyrus married Liam Hemsworth in December 2018, only to file for divorce a mere nine months later. They’ve had quite the on-and-off relationship since they met in 2009 while filming “The Last Song.”

Though the divorce was 4 years ago, it hasn’t stopped Cyrus from bringing it into her latest single. Many people believe that “Flowers” is related to Hemsworth in a few ways.

The release of the single was on Hemsworth’s birthday, which fans believe she might be taking the day to reference her former husband.

The gold outfit she wore in the music video might be alluding to a similar outfit Jennifer Lawrence wore to the 2012 premiere of “The Hunger Games.” Speculations about Lawrence and Hemsworth were made but never confirmed.

A subtle dance move she did in the sneak peak of the music video connects her song to a red carpet interview she had with Hemsworth, where he had told her “to behave” while she was dancing.

Cyrus’ dancing around at the end of her music video is similar to Joaquin Phoenix’s performance as the Joker and fans think that has something to do with Hemsworth since it was his favorite movie.

And lastly, lyrics that say, “Built a home and watched it burn” might be about her Malibu home burning down in the 2018 Woosley Fire in California. 

“No one is promised the next day, or the next, so I try to be ‘in the now’ as much as possible,” Cyrus said in a Vanity Fair interview back in 2019, crediting the fire as one of the reasons she and Hemsworth got married.

Although none of these fan theories have been confirmed, and likely won’t, it hasn’t stopped them from being speculated about across various social media platforms.

The song itself is very similar to “When I Was Your Man” by Bruno Mars, but almost the opposite of it lyrically. Mars’ song is a breakup song, which is made clear throughout the tonality and lyrics of it.

Mars sings, “I should have bought you flowers.” Which goes with Cyrus’ line, “I can buy myself flowers.”

Mars follows with “And held your hand,” while Cyrus sings, “And I can hold my own hand.”

Finally Mars sings, “Take you to every party ‘cause all you wanted to do was dance,” to which Cyrus sings, “I can take myself dancing.”

Mars’ song is all about realizing your mistakes after seeing your ex with their new significant other. He recounts all the things he should have done when he was with his ex in order to possibly salvage the relationship. All the things he should have done when “he was her man.”

Cyrus has taken this in its reverse and goes through how she’s better off without her ex because she can love herself better than he can. It seems as though Cyrus has taken what was once a breakup song and made it her own breakup anthem. 

Fans are excited to see how Miley triumphs in her upcoming album, “Endless Summer Nights” but until then, “Flowers,” reigns as the breakup song of the year, available on all streaming platforms.