Lollapalooza releases 2023 festival lineup

Dylan+Minnette+sings+on+stage+on+the+third+day+of+Lollapalooza+in+2022.+

Sydney Laput

Dylan Minnette sings on stage on the third day of Lollapalooza in 2022.

By Maaike Niekerk, Staff Writer

Lollapalooza released the list of performing artists for their 2023 festival on Tuesday, which included huge names such as Kendrick Lamar, Billie Eilish and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. 

The festival takes place annually at Grant Park in Chicago during the summer months. This year, the festival is Aug. 3-6. 

Other prominent artists making an appearance include indie rock artist Lana Del Rey, K-pop boy band Tomorrow X Together and pop rock band The 1975. 

All of these appearances fit into Lollapalooza’s traditional music styles of mostly pop, rock, rap and EDM, although K-pop is still fairly new to the festival.

TXT will be making their second appearance on the Lollapalooza stage, after making history in 2022 as the first K-pop group to perform in the history of the event.

Reggae and Latin singer Karol G will also make history as the first female Latin headlining performer at the festival.   

The official Lollapalooza website advertises nine different performance stages at the Chicago event, with 170-plus bands from all over the world to fill them.

Along with the massive headlining performances, smaller but still considerably well-known artists will also bring attention to the festival.

These include rapper Yung Gravy, UI’s 2022 Spring Jam artist, breakout indie folk singer Noah Kahan and British DJ Fred Again.

Carly Rae Jepsen, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Diplo, Lil Yachty, Portugal. The Man and Sabrina Carpenter will also appear.

Originally created as a final concert for Perry Farrell’s band Jane’s Addiction, Lollapalooza began as a tour across the United States during the summer of 1991.

The tour was a huge hit and was helped along by the dramatically increasing popularity of the alternative rock genre.

The music festival has been held annually ever since, with a brief pause due to a lack of interest in the late 90s. In 2005, the festival was hosted at Grant Park for the first time and has been there since. 

Although Chicago is considered the “home” of Lollapalooza, the festival is also held annually in countries across the globe, including Germany, Sweden, France and Brazil.

The close proximity of the festival, only a few hours away from the University’s campus, can make it a popular summer destination for University students. 

Presale for tickets began this morning at 10 a.m. CDT. Tickets are still available at lollapalooza.com