Best Picture winner ‘CODA’ offers heartfelt look at family, inclusivity

By Olivia Rosenberg, Assistant buzz Editor

The term coda has a double meaning, as does the title of the 2021 film; firstly, it’s an abbreviation “child of deaf adults,” and secondly, it’s a musical passage that brings a piece to an end. 

Both of these meanings are heavily featured in the story of Sian Heder’s “CODA” as it follows Ruby, the only hearing member of her family, as she must balance helping her family keep their business afloat and pursuing her dreams of becoming a singer. 

Adapted from the French film “La Famille Bélier,” “CODA” is about the Rossi family and their fishing business in Massachusetts. Father Frank, mother Jackie and brother Leo are deaf, so Ruby acts as the family’s interpreter and is their bridge into the hearing world. When Ruby gets a pull from the world of music, she feels guilty for possibly leaving her family to enter a new chapter without them. 

At the 94th Academy Awards on March 27, “CODA” made history with its win of the Best Picture award. It became the first film from a streaming service to be recognized with that award. Heder, who wrote and directed the film, won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay. 

Troy Kotsur, who played Frank, won Best Supporting Actor, making him the second deaf actor to win an Academy Award. Marlee Matlin, who is also in the film as Jackie, was the first deaf actor to win. 

In response to the success during award season, Apple made the decision to re-release “CODA” in theaters on April 1. 

Many critics and viewers were surprised to see “CODA” take home the top prize at the Oscars because some noted that it is not extremely cinematic or technical in its direction and cinematography. 

It has also been labeled as predictable or conventional. From a surface-level perspective, the film does follow a typical coming-of-age formula with a girl who wants to go away to school but feels pressured to stay where she grew up.

However, upon further examination, it is the detailed characters and stories that give it a unique spin on the genre. The added layer of Ruby being her family’s interpreter gives the conflict much more weight; the additional inclusion of American Sign Language and the deaf representation set it apart from any other coming-of-age film. 

The film’s casting is also what makes it as good as it is. The casting of deaf actors in the roles of deaf characters makes it much more credible and authentic. 

Matlin and Kotsur lead the film with their portrayal of the Rossi parents. They are hilarious and down to earth while still holding command of the family and the screen. 

The music showcased in “CODA” also adds another layer of detail that is so essential to the theme of the story. Ruby’s college audition song is “Both Sides Now” by Joni Mitchell. 

The song’s lyrics speak of seeing the world from two different perspectives, just like how Ruby sees the world from the viewpoints of both the hearing and deaf communities. The song’s message is a perfect fit within the overall themes of “CODA.”

Between its messages of family and representation of the deaf community, the film is a heartwarming reminder of the importance of inclusivity in both the film industry and in all aspects of life.