Buzz Abroad: Christmas Markets in Vienna

Halloween is over and long forgotten by many, and the city of Vienna is no exception. The holiday season is here, and the citizens of this city endure the near freezing temperatures by starting the most wonderful time of the year with Christkindlmarkt or Christmas Markets. The first one of the season opened up in front of Vienna’s city hall- Rathaus. The markets are open during the day, but the best time to go is at night when the lights are all shining bright.

The market itself expands all across the open square in front of city hall. Dozens of stands showcase their goods and treats out to the crowd of people in the market. Many stands sell Christmas trinkets such as ornaments, decorated candle holders, hats and gloves, and wooden goods. Due to the chaotic and energetic nature of the market, I recommend following these suggestions:

1. Start your experience with a cup of punch or mulled wine. Mulled wine is made with either red or white wine, juice, and spices. Punch is the same idea but with a fruity liqueur instead of wine. Both are served hot and in a classic boot mug, or in my case a heart shaped mug. It’s great to walk from stall to stall sipping on something warm as the wind can pick up now and then.
  2. In classic Champaign fashion, do a lap. There are so many different stalls to see that if one is looking to do some shopping, it would be wise to see everything that is offered. Many of the stands repeat so it’s rare to find a stand that is extremely unique in its offerings. This makes it easy for customers so that you can walk around and get multiple chances to buy something you like.
  3. Try the food! While the prices aren’t incredibly cheap, they can be reasonable for the size and quantity you get. I saw a stand offering donuts with an 8 inch diameter AND creme filling inside. I tried a Baumstriezel also known as chimney cake. The dough itself reminds me of a cinnamon bun. I also had mine flavored cinnamon-sugar, but instead of the gooey filling you would associate with a cinnamon roll, the outside was coated with it and the sugar caramelized on the dough. You eat it by pulling it apart in a spiral. There are also vendors selling savory goods such as pumpkin soup or longos which are face-sized fried flattened dough-disks.

Christmas markets are not just regional to Vienna. You can find them all over Europe and even in Chicago. They do not start as early as the ones here, but you can start the festivities early by making your own punch or mulled wine at home. An Austrian friend of mine made mulled wine in her apartment, so if one university student can do it, so can you.

As midterm season lulls on and the idea of Thanksgiving occurring in a week doesn’t get you energized and excited, skip over to the next holiday and embrace the festivities as though you are in Vienna.