BUZZ CALENDAR (FEB. 15-18)

The buzz calendar is a compilation of events happening in the Champaign-Urbana area. Follow our top picks every Monday and Thursday for ideas on what to do on any night of the week, from where to eat to what to watch.

Want to submit an event? Email [email protected]

Feb. 15

Silent Sky

8-10 p.m. (Feb. 15-18)

The Station Theater, 223 N. Broadway Ave, Urbana

$10-$20, all ages

The Celebration Company at the Station Theatre is pleased to announce the opening of Silent Sky by Lauren Gunderson and directed by Katie Burke.

Boogie T. & Squnto Strike Back: Urbana

9 p.m.

The Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin Ave, Urbana

$18-$20, 18+

Boogie T. nd Squnto are artists that both specialize in dubstep and riddim. Their unique sounds create an energy that is unlike any other.

KAM Exhibition | Basel Abbas + Ruanne Abou-Rahme: And yet my mask is powerful

9 a.m.-5 p.m. (Feb. 8 – Jul. 14)

Krannert Art Museum Main Level, 500 East Peabody Drive, Champaign

Free, all ages

Basel Abbas and Ruanne Abou-Rahme explicitly exhibit the life in the place in the forms of video and and sound installation, which they captured in a destroyed Palestinian ruin in Israel. The exhibition is made possible by collaborative work with the ar

informed by the artists’ research with

historical archives, literature, underground music, and film. And yet my mask is powerful stages

encounters with materials from Palestine through installation, sound, cinema, and an artists’ book.

Designed, Displayed, & Discarded: Ephemeral Printing in Alton, Illinois, 1835-1855

9 a.m.-5 p.m.

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, The Ellen and Nirmal Chatterjee Exhibition Gallery in the Rare Book & Manuscript Library, 346 Main Library, 1408 W. Gregory Drive, Urbana

Free, all ages

This exhibition features a selection of items from the Alton Telegraph Printer’s Scrapbooks which exhibit how the company printed their newspapers in the mid-nineteenth century. The items are also an excellent illustration of the creative print design. For more information, visit http://www.library.illinois.edu/rbx.

Asian American Cultural Center Presents New Art Exhibition “Drama of Black and White- Pen and Ink Drawings of Hua Nian”

9 a.m.-5 p.m. (Feb. 15 – March 30, 2018)

Asian American Cultural Center, 1210 W. Nevada St, Urbana

Free, all ages

Once a professor photojournalism, artist Hua Nian has turned to illustration to record life in lieu of “a quick click on the camera.” Nian will display some of her sketches, which are taken from concerts, plays, and sporting events, at the Asian American Cultural Center

Creating Your Powerful Cover Letter

4 p.m.

The Career Center at Illinois Room 143, 715 S Wright St, Champaign

Free, all ages

Searching for a job requires a good resume but also effective cover letters. Learn how to write an effective cover letter that best displays your skills and experience.

The ART of Illustration Exhibition: Opening Reception

5:30-7:30 p.m.

Giertz Gallery at Parkland College, 2400 W Bradley Ave, Champaign

Free, all ages

The Art of Illustration exhibits commercial art that utilizes outstanding print design, conceptual imagery and visual language. A curatorial talk by Liza Wynette will be offered during the opening reception.

Feb. 16

CMM 48 Hour Film Fest 2018

7 p.m. (Feb. 16-18)

Lincoln Square Mall, 201 Lincoln Sq, Urbana

N/A, all ages

A 48 hr film fest is an exercise in efficiency, endurance, and off the-cuff creativity. Teams are given precisely 48 hours to produce a short film from concept to completion. Contact Andrew Stengele (andrewstengele@gmail,com) with any questions, and start assembling your crew! To register, please fill out this form before noon on Thursday, February 15: https://goo.gl/forms/ZSQbR5wq3WkPRc233. If you are an actor interested in being available that weekend, update (or register) your account on ChampaignCastingCall.com!

U of I Cotton Club Kick Off 2018

10 p.m.

$7-$15, 18+

Come check out the U of I Cotton Club Kick Off 2018 at The Canopy Club!

Internships in Research Park: Pizza & Professionals

12 p.m.-1 p.m.

The Career Center Interview Suite at 616 E. Green Street, Room 213, Champaign

Free, all ages

Enjoy free lunch on Research Park and learn what experiences you can have working as an intern in research park.

Feb. 17

The Red Herring’s Golden (50th) Birthday Party

4:30-10:30 p.m.

The Red Herring Vegetarian Restaurant, 1209 W. Oregon St, Urbana

Donations encouraged, all ages

The Red Herring is celebrating their 50 year anniversary with live music, storytellers from over The Red Herring years, memorabilia from half a century of their history, a raffle of local goods and Red Herring swag, cooking, and more to be announced soon.

Glow Yoga with Andy Hamblin

6-7:15 p.m.

Amara Yoga & Arts, 300 S. Broadway Ave, Urbana

$10-$15, all ages

Come light up your evening with a fun-filled Glow Yoga class! There will be glow bracelets, glow body paint, and rowdy music to lift your spirits. It is so much fun to get into a psychedelic groove that enhances your yoga experience. All levels welcome!

Big Wild

9 p.m.

$18-$20, 18+

Big Wild is an electronic artist from California. He will be joined at The Canopy Club by Daktyl and White Cliffs.

Radiohead’s Music meets Fiesta!

9-11p.m.

Fiesta Cafe, 216 S 1st St, Champaign

Free, all ages

Radiohead’s songs are recreated by the Joey Glassman Quartet at Fiesta Cafe with an unconventional instrument vibraphone with the backing of a guitar, bass and drums.

Illini Service Dogs

3-3:45 p.m.

Champaign Public Library, 200 W Green St, Champaign

Free, all ages

Dogs are endearing, but even more so when they help people. Meet some dogs which are being trained by the Illini Service Dogs group to help people with disabilities and know over 40 commands.

Chocolate Tasting

6-8:05 p.m.

BrewLab Coffee, 630 S Fifth St., Champaign

$15, all ages

Feb. 18

Zen Studies with Professor Shozo Sato: Advanced Calligraphy

2-4 p.m.

Japan House, 2000 S. Lincoln Ave, Urbana

$25, all ages

Join Professor Emeritus Shozo Sato for a Sunday afternoon calligraphy class on Shodo or Japanese calligraphy. This will be a hands-on class and is for students who have completed four sessions of introductory workshops with Sato Sensei and have his approval to join as an advanced student. Space is limited to seven participants. All materials will be supplied.

Vegan Home Cooking & Baking Class

7:30-9 p.m.

$5, all ages

The Red Herring is bringing you this cooking class to get you on the road to making vegan food with confidence and pride. Red Herring chefs will be teaching the class how to make satisfying meat substitutes, hearty entrees, simple sides, and healthy desserts.

Kayzo

9 p.m.

$18-$25, 18+

Kayzo is a Houston-based electronic artist, also known as Hayden Capuozzo. He will be joined by 4B, Dubloadz, Gammer, JSTJR.

University of Illinois Press Public History Exhibit

8:30 a.m.-10 p.m. (Feb. 18-28)

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1st Floor North-South Corridor, Main Library, 1408 W. Gregory Drive, Urbana

Free, all ages

In celebration of 100 years of printing and publishing history, the University of Illinois Press presents you with the exhibition of a wealth of materials selected by UIP staff from the University Archives. The materials exhibit the Press history of design and printing, award-winning scholarship, Illinois history publications, their outstanding series Music in American Life and Working Class in American History, their commitment to social justice issues, and much more.

Turning Lemons Into Lemonade

1-3 p.m.

Free, all ages

Speakers from Wisconsin are coordinating a discussion to explain how our communities can stick up for workers’ rights, which is in jeopardy due to a number of legal changes. Refreshments will be served under the sponsorship of Central Illinois Jobs With Justice’s.