buzz calendar (Mar. 19-Mar. 25)

The buzz calendar is a compilation of events happening in the Champaign-Urbana area. Follow our top picks every Monday and Thursday for ideas on what to do on any night of the week, from where to eat to what to watch.

Want to submit an event? Email [email protected]

March 19

World on the Horizon: Swahili Arts Across the Indian Ocean

9 a.m.-5 p.m.

Krannert Art Museum, 500 E. Peabody Dr, Champaign

Free, all ages

Krannert Art Museum presents the first major traveling exhibition from the Swahili Coast and its connections from eastern to central Africa and the Indian Ocean regions. Viewers will have the opportunity to view art from over 100 artworks from both public and private collections from all over the world. Co-curators: Allyson Purpura, senior curator & curator of African art, and Prita Meier, assistant professor of Art History.

Open Mic Night

8 p.m.-2 a.m.

The Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin Ave, Urbana

Free for 21+, $3 for under 21, 18+

If you’re looking for a creative outlet, head over to Canopy Club with your instruments and your laptops. All genres and styles are welcome at Open Mic Night, but no full bands or DJ sets are allowed.

March 20

Around the Table Webinar: Go Further with Food

12-1 p.m.

Online

Free, all ages

This Webinar hosted by the University of Illinois Extension “Family and Consumer Sciences” team will discuss finances, nutrition, and family across the entirety of the lifespan. Register online with University of Illinois Extension!

Open Mic Night with Corduroy

6:30-9:30 p.m.

Clark Bar, 207 W. Clark St, Champaign

Free, 19+

Clark Bar opens its stage with Corduroy for a few songs to start the night, and then hands it off to any CU visitor. Bring your instrument and some tunes, and they’ll take care of the rest!

Tuesday Jazz

7-10 p.m.

Boomerangs Bar & Grill, 1309 E. Washington St, Urbana

Free, all ages

Every Tuesday Boomerangs clears the Boom-Stage for the best jazz musicians in the region. This week features This week Brad Wheeler, Jose Gobbo, Ben Taylor, Josh Quirk.

March 21

Quilting Bee

6:30-9:30 p.m.

Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center, 202 S. Broadway Ave, Urbana

Free, all ages

The Champaign Urbana Moms Demand Action group is having a quilting bee as part of the Mother’s Dream Quilt project. Whether you can sew or not, you can help create a portion of a quilt that will honor victims of gun violence. RSVP here: http://act.everytown.org/event/moms-demand-action-event/9286/signup/?akid&zip&source=etno_ETActPage.

March 22

ISTC Seminar: Managing Water to Increase Resiliency of Drained Agriculture 

12:15-1:15 p.m.

Forbes Natural History Building Room 1005, 1816 S Oak St, Champaign

Free, all ages

Learn about the importance of productive lands at how drained lands can be made more efficient with controlled water deficit and excess. The presentation will cover drainage systems, and the research to make them more successful.

Paint Nite for Rohingya

6:30-8:30 p.m.

1308 S. Race St, Urbana

$20, 14+

Mark your calendars for a fun, creative, and chill Paint Nite! Artist Hua Nian will walk you through step-by-step on how to paint a beautiful acrylic painting. The best part? All proceeds go to Rohingyan refugees. There is limited seating so RSVP @ tinyurl.com/h4hPaintNite.

2018 Gryphon Lecture: For the Love of Harry Potter

7-9 p.m.

The Center for Children’s Books, 501 E Daniel St, Rm 24, Champaign

Free, all ages

Share your obsession with the novel Harry Potter with other fans including Marianne Martens, who will be delivering the 2018 Gryphon lecture, “For the Love of Harry Potter: Growing up with Fan Fiction, Festivals, and Charitable Works.” The event will also be recorded and streamed online at: http://bit.ly/2sJ182C.

March 23

“The Party” Screening

4 p.m.

The Art Theater, 126 W. Church St, Champaign

$6.75-$8.75, all ages

This week, The Art Theater is screening the new movie, The Party. “Janet hosts an intimate gathering of friends in her London home to celebrate her political ascension. After her acerbic best friend and others arrive, some with dramatic news to share, an announcement by Janet’s husband provokes a series of revelations.”

International Coffeehouse

4-6 p.m.

Etc Coffeehouse, 1203 W. Green St, Urbana

Price varies, all ages

American and international students, visiting scholars and spouses, friends and community folks are invited to join Etc Coffeehouse as they enjoy coffee and snacks, practice English, make new friends, and learn about each other’s cultures.

Weekend Film Series: Lady Bird

7-10 p.m.

Illini Union, 1401 W. Green St, Urbana

Free w/ iCard, all ages

Join the Illini Union for their Weekend Film Series in the Pine Lounge. This week features Oscar-nominated film, Lady Bird.

March 24

Babies and Brunch Spring Open House

9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

Prairie Fruits Farm & Creamery, 4410 N. Lincoln Ave, Champaign

Free, all ages

During the open house hours, patrons can visit the goats, enjoy the weather, and buy from a limited food/beverage menu of coffee, goat-milk hot chocolate and pastries from local Lucky Pierre Bakers. Cheese, gelato, and other famer friends’ products will be available. Food and beverages are offered first-come-first-served.

Psychic & Health Fair

10 a.m.-5 p.m.

Beads N Botanicals, 117 N. Broadway Ave, Urbana

Price varies, all ages

Come and get a reading with the best readers in the Champaign Urbana area. Readers will include Catherine, Dawn, Debra Joy, and Suzanne, each with their own unique specialties and perspectives.

Crazy Cat Lady Fashion Show

11 a.m.-2:30 p.m.

Laborers International Union North America, 108 E. Anthony Dr, Urbana

$35, all ages

This event will feature an assortment of outfits from boutiques and shops in Champaign-Urbana for crazy cat ladies (and ladies-in-training) modeled by local women and girls, with all outfits auctioned at the conclusion of the show. Admission includes a buffet lunch, fashion show, and more.

Mascara & Mimosas

11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.

IHotel and Conference Center, 1900 S. First St, Champaign

$15, all ages

Join Faces and Tresses for mimosas, beauty tips, and an introduction to the location hair and makeup business for all occasions. Tickets are available online for pick-up at registration.

Champaign-Urbana Astronomical Society Family Skywatch

7-9 p.m.

CUAS Observatory, 926 County Road 700E Tolono

Free, all ages

This is the Champaign-Urbana Astronomical Society’s Observatory first open house of the year. They’ll offer access to many of the telescopes and will showcase some of the newly constructed observatory as well as refurbished astronomical tools. Call 356-2567 if the weather seems to be cloudy in case of cancellation.

Pecha Kucha Night

8:20 p.m.

The Virginia Theatre 203 W. Park Ave, Champaign

$10-$15, all ages

Pecha Kucha (which comes from the Japanese term for “chit chat”) is a quick, quirky creative outlet meant to spark conversation within the C-U community. The presenter will bring 20 images that are displayed for 20 seconds each. After 9 years of continuous innovation, CUDO presents its 26th volume that will not disappoint.

Great Cover Up “Reprised” Girls Rock C-U Benefit

8:30 p.m.-1 a.m.

Cowboy Monkey, 6 Taylor St, Champaign

$7, 19+

The Great Cover Up is coming back for another show to help out Girls Rock CU. The following bands will be performing: Slick Lisp (as Bush), Love Handles (as Alanis Morissette), Grand Ambassador (as CAKE), and one more TBA. If you missed these bands the first time, you’ll want to come out!

March 25

Time Machine: American Indian Cultures

1-3:30 p.m.

Spurlock Museum, 600 S. Gregory St, Urbana

Free, all ages

This family-friendly event explores American Indian cultures past and present with hands-on activities. Learn about quillworking, powwow regalia, and indigenous tribes of Illinois. Look for presentations by experts in Native lifeways and history.

Soul on Sunday

7-9 p.m.

The Iron Post, 120 S. Race St, Urbana

$5, all ages

Bridging the community gap with the arts of music, poetry, and comedy.