buzz Calendar (3.29-4.1)

The buzz calendar is a compilation of events happening in the Champaign-Urbana area. Follow our top picks every Monday and Thursday for ideas on what to do on any night of the week, from where to eat to what to watch.

Want to submit an event? Email [email protected]

March 29

Cubs Opening Day at Firehaus

11 a.m.-2 p.m.

Firehaus, 708 S. 6th St., Champaign

Cover under 21, 19+

It’s Opening Day at Firehaus – come watch the Cubs vs Marlins. Win a pair of Cubs tickets or a Cubs jersey during the game. Last chance to ever get the Cubs World Series Champs Pint. You keep the pint special – filled with Bud or Bud Light. $2 Tito’s Vodka, plus, it’s Bud Light Mug Day.

Ed Ayers: Twenty-Five Years in Digital History and Counting

4-6 p.m.

220 Main Library, 1408 W. Gregory Dr., Urbana

Free, all ages

Edward Ayers began a digital project just before the World Wide Web emerged and has been pursuing projects ever since.  His current work focuses on the two poles of possibility in the medium: advanced projects in visualizing processes of history at the Digital Scholarship Lab at the University of Richmond and a public-facing project in Bunk, curating representations of the American past for a popular audience.

13th Annual Innovation Celebration

5:30-8:30 p.m.

Parkland College Student Union, 2400 W. Bradley Ave., Champaign

Free, all ages

Innovation Celebration provides recognition of those individuals and organizations that have made significant contributions, taken risks, and provided leadership to ensure the continuing economic success of Champaign County, the ongoing success of the University’s economic development mission, and the growth of entrepreneurial talent and energy in our community.

Siebel Center for Design Workshop: Bioinspired Design

7-8:45 p.m.

Grainger Engineering Library, 1301 W. Springfield Ave., Urbana

Free for U of I students, RSVP

Join Mechanical Engineering’s Aimy Wissa and Entomology’s Marianne Alleyne in the Grainger IDEA Lab for a workshop on bio-inspired design. The session will feature an overview of bio-inspired design principles and a hands-on activity exploring water sensing materials inspired by the common pinecone. Refreshments will be provided. Please RSVP in advance.

Barbecue

7:30-9 p.m. (March 29-March 31) 

Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, 500 S. Goodwin Ave, Urbana

N/A, all ages

The O’Mallery family gathers in a local park to confront a sibling about her substance abuse. Is it a made-for-reality-television event? Not quite. As the narrative unspools, members of the family attack and retreat. Familiar tropes from domestic dramas give way to startling new revelations as a family’s identity shape-shifts across an evolving landscape of race, class, and consciousness.

March 30

Native Pop Presents Strong Women: Reclaiming Imagery Panel

12 p.m.

University YMCA, 1001 S. Wright St., Champaign

Free, all ages

Native American House, Women’s Resources Center, University YMCA, and Spurlock Museum welcome three artists from Native Pop, an organization that brings Native pop art and art-making to widespread venues and communities. In a weekend of events titled “Native Pop Presents: Strong Women: Reclaiming Imagery,” MaryBeth Nelson (Cherokee), Serena Penaloza (Navajo and Maricopa), and Brent Learned (Cheyenne-Arapaho) bring their art, insights, and skills to a variety of programs.

We Love Reading: An Innovative Approach to Change

2-3 p.m.

Education Building, Room 22, 1310 S. 6th St., Champaign

Free, all ages

We Love Reading, founded by Rana Dajani, is a program that fosters a love of reading by empowering volunteers to regularly read aloud to children in their neighborhoods. The successful model is simple, economical, and flexible. Learn more about it at this talk with Dr. Dajani. A light lunch will be served.

Native Pop Presents Strong Women: Reclaiming Imagery

7-9 p.m.

Spurlock Museum, 600 S. Gregory St., Urbana

Free, all ages

Spurlock Museum welcomes three artists from Native Pop, an organization that brings Native pop art and art-making to widespread venues and communities. Join them for an after-hours event featuring live art-making, conversations with the artists, and light refreshments.

Nite Lite Egg Pursuit

7:15-9 p.m.

Hessel Park, 1400 Grandview Dr., Champaign

$10, 18+

Break out your basket, grab your flashlight and prepare your inner child for Nite Lite Egg Pursuit XXV. Join Lite Rock 97.5 WHMS for the opportunity to hunt for eggs filled with prizes. Be on the lookout for the Bronze, Silver and Gold eggs for a chance to win some great prize packages.

WYW Presents: The Second Maiden’s Tragedy

7:30-9:30 p.m. (March 30-March 31)

Illini Union, 1401 W. Green St., Urbana

$7, all ages

Join WYW for their first performance of the semester. It is a play centering around the idea of bodily autonomy. Once you die, is your body your own? How much control do you have over what happens to you? Come out to see a wonderfully dark and desperate performance as a Lady attempts to regain herself from death using the help of the man who loved her best in life.

Twiddle w/ Sun Stereo

9 p.m.

The Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana

$15-$18, VIP $75, 18+

Vermont-based rock band Twiddle will be performing at the Canopy Club this weekend. They will be joined by the Champaign-based group, Sun Stereo.

Wildwood String Band

10 p.m.-midnight

Watson’s Shack & Rail, 211 N. Neil St., Champaign

Free, all ages

Wildwood will be back again at Watson’s for another great performance. Wildwood is a bluegrass/string band comprised of local musicians that always puts on a great show.

March 31

Babies and Brunch

9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

Prairie Fruits Farm & Creamery, 4410 N. Lincoln Ave., Champaign

Free, all ages

During these spring hours, patrons can visit the goats, enjoy the weather, and buy from a limited food/beverage menu of coffee, goat-milk hot chocolate and pastries from local Lucky Pierre Bakers. Cheese, gelato, and other farmer friends’ products will be available. Food and beverages are offered first-come-first-served.

Home Brewing Workshop

10-11:30 a.m.

BrewLab Coffee, 630 S. Fifth St., Champaign

$12-$24, all ages

For all of you caffeine junkies, learn how to brew your favorite beans at home.This workshop is designed to teach you tools and knowledge that are needed for making great coffee at home, especially with the coffee beans and brewing equipment that you can get right here at Brewlab.

Hanuman Jayanthi

10 a.m.-1 p.m.

Hindu Temple and Cultural Society of Central Illinois, 2130 County Rd., Champaign

Free, all ages

Hindu Temple and Cultural Society of Central Illinois is performing Sri Hanuman Jayanti on March 30, 2018 Friday and March 31, 2018 Saturday Morning. HTCSCI requests all of you to participate in these celebrations and have Sri Hanuman Ji blessings.

Last Acre

6-8 p.m.

The Iron Post, 120 S. Race St., Urbana

Free, all ages

Father/daughter songwriting duo Mark and Molly Mathewson play originals and favorites at Urbana’s Iron Post.

Elohim w/ Yoshi Flower

7:15 p.m.

$15-$18, 18+

Elohim is a singer/songwriter from Los Angeles known for crafting electronic pop veiled in mystery that puts the focus on her music. She will be joined by special guest, Yoshi Flower.

Club Night with DJ Monstreau

10 p.m.-2 a.m.

51 Main, 51 E. Main St., Champaign

Free, 19+

Amy Myers presents the 31st Club Mar Night. Hosted by DJ Monstreau, dance the night away with drink specials at one of the best bars in Champaign.

April 1

Sunday Morning Bird Walks

7:30-9 a.m.

Urbana Park District, 505 W. Stoughton St., Urbana

Free, all ages

Birding is an adventure at any age. Walk with Champaign County Audubon Society leaders and search for birds in Busey Woods and Crystal Lake Park. Learn and practice basic bird watching and identification techniques.

Spring Succulent Wreath Workshop

5-6:30 p.m.

Riggs Beer Company, 1901 S. High Cross Rd., Urbana

$30, all ages

With the brightness of Spring on our doorstep, create a colorful home decoration that exudes the vibrancy and joy of the season. Farmer Holly will lead the class in crafting custom, gorgeous wreaths. Adornments include Delight Flower Farm dried flowers, boxwood, woody stems, ribbon, and fresh succulent cuttings.