buzz Calendar (4.9-4.11)

The buzz calendar is a compilation of events happening in the Champaign-Urbana area. Follow our top picks every Monday and Thursday for ideas on what to do on any night of the week, from where to eat to what to watch.

Want to submit an event? Email [email protected]

April 9

Coffee Kick-off

8 a.m.-8 p.m.

Parkland College Library, 2400 W. Bradley Ave., Champaign

Free, all ages

Parkland College Library will be kicking off National Library Week with free coffee and tea, available all day long. Free donuts will be available at the beginning of the day until they run out.

Employers Speak: Career Fair Strategies that Work

5-6 p.m.

Illini Union Rm 104, 1201 W. Green St., Urbana

Free, all ages

What are recruiters looking for at job fairs and how can you stand out? Join various recruiters for a panel discussion on making the most of your time at career fairs.

Blues Dancing

6:30-9:30 p.m.

Cowboy Monkey, 6 E. Taylor St., Champaign

Free, 21+

Join Cowboy Monkey for free beginner-friendly lessons from 6:30-7 p.m. Dancing starts at 7. No partner necessary!

Poets at the Post

7-9 p.m.

The Iron Post, 120 Race St., Urbana

Free, all ages

April is National Poetry Month here in the U.S. Come out to the Iron Post to celebrate it with featured poet Michael LaDue of Champaign. A regular at Krannert Art Museum’s S.P.E.A.K. cafe and an annual reader at the Champaign Public Library, Michael LaDue has read verse across the country and has volunteered with Poetry Out Loud and many other literary events and organizations.

Open Mic Night

8 p.m.-2 a.m.

The Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana

21+ free, Under 21 $3, 18+

If you’re looking for a creative outlet, head over to Canopy Club with your instruments and your laptops. All genres and styles are welcome at Open Mic Night, but no full bands or DJ sets are allowed.

Disney Trivia Night

8-10:30 p.m.

Brothers Bar & Grill, 613 E. Green St., Champaign

Free, 19+

Themed trivia nights continue and whaddayaknow? Free Pub Trivia is keeping the fun themes going on at Brothers with a full night of Disney trivia! Come test your knowledge on all things Disney; join us for some fun and a chance at great prizes.

April 10

5th Annual Library Research Showcase

1-4 p.m.

Main Library, 1408 W. Gregory Dr., Urbana

Free, all ages

The University Library invites the campus community to the Library Research Showcase. The showcase will highlight recently completed and ongoing research within the Library, emphasizing its impact on the University, the professional disciplines of our many researchers and beyond.

AsiaLENS Film Series: Drawing The Tiger

3-5 p.m.

Spurlock Museum, 600 S. Gregory St., Urbana

Free, all ages

Shot over seven years, “Drawing the Tiger” takes a sweeping view of one Nepalese family’s daily struggle to survive off of subsistence farming. There will be an introduction and post-screening discussion with Jessica Birkenholtz, assistant professor in the Department of Religion.

Baggo Tournament

5-6 p.m.

Bardeen Quad, Urbana

Free, all ages

Come out and compete in the Baggo tournament for free food and cash prizes for your whole team!

The Forum: Armando Marques Ochoa on Central American migration

5-6:30 p.m.

Murphy Lounge, University YMCA, 1001 S. Wright St., Champaign

Free, all ages

Armando Marques Ochoa, who is a long-time human rights advocate working for the Fundacion Hermano Mercedes Ruiz (FUNDAHMER) in El Salvador, will be speaking at the University YMCA. Father Tom Royer, who has worked many years with Armando in El Salvador, is hosting his visit to Champaign-Urbana.

Still Life & Wine

7:30-9:30 p.m.

The Ivy House Studios & Gallery, 704 N. State St., Champaign

Free, 21+ to drink

Still Life & Wine welcomes artists of all levels! Please bring your own art supplies; wine will be provided. If you want more than one glass of wine, please feel free to BYOB. The first 5 to 10 minutes will be spent setting up the still life together. Show up any time to join in. Seats closer to the still life are first-come, first-serve. Not a formal lesson; just casual conversation and artists sharing tips.

George Porter Jr.

9 p.m.

$15-$18, 18+

Few bass players in the history of modern New Orleans music are as storied as George Porter Jr. During the course of a career spanning more than four decades, Porter has not only made a deep impression with his work in the Meters, but he’s notched session work with artists as diverse as Paul McCartney, Jimmy Buffett and more. He will be joined by James Jones Trio.

U of I Night- Stand-Up Comedy

9-10:20 p.m.

Clark Bar, 207 W. Clark St., Champaign

Free, 19+

It’s U of I Night at the Clark Bar with live stand-up comedy featuring all U of I students! There is no cover, live music from 6-9, a full food menu and great drink specials ($3 Captain/Wells, $3 Blue Moons, $2 Bud Light). Featuring Kadeem Richardson, Jon Murphy, Andy Vanthournout, Tony Santella, Alexandria Hawkey, Kadeem Fuller, Adonis Holmes and Adam Rozak.

April 11

Perfectionism Workshop

1 p.m.

University of Illinois Counseling Center, Turner Student Services Bldg., 610 E. John St., Champaign

Free, all ages

All Living Card Games are encouraged to come out and play. They currently have Legend of the Five Rings and NetRunner playing on a regular basis.

Seed-Starting Workshop

12:30-2 p.m.

Riggs Beer Company, “party porch,” 1901 S. High Cross Rd., Urbana

$20, all ages

During this workshop from the Counseling Center, you will explore the origins of perfectionism, understand its impact on daily life and learn strategies for coping with perfectionism. This week’s topic is Changing Perfectionistic Thinking.

Let’s Talk About Adulting

2-4 p.m.

BrewLab Coffee, 630 S. Fifth St., Champaign

Free, all ages

If you have questions about your next steps in college or even after college, we’re here to help! Career coaches from the Career Center on campus will be on-site at Brewlab. Drop in and ask our coaches anything! During each talk, the first 20 students will receive a coupon for $1 off any drink!

Yoga with Lola and Live Music

5:30-6:30 p.m.

Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center, 202 S. Broadway Ave., Urbana

$10 for one class, $80 for a package of 10 classes, 14+

All levels, gentle vinyasa flow yoga with live music will soothe your soul, ground your body and open your mind!

Happy Hour

5:30-7 p.m.

Crane Alley, 115 W. Main St., Urbana

Free, 21+

Join Crane Alley for an evening among friends! They will explore the different ways to stay fresh and inspired!

Lagunitas Waldo & Dark Swan Tapping Party

6 p.m.

Scotty’s Brewhouse, 2001 S. Neil St., Champaign

Free, 19+

Where’s Waldo? At Scotty’s Brewhouse! Join Scotty’s RJ Distributing and Lagunitas for a special night! We are tapping the exclusive Dark Swan (sour ale) & Waldo (triple IPA). Kyler and Steven will be answering any beer questions you might have and also giving away Lagunitas merchandise.

A Night with Sonia Manzano from Sesame Street

7-9 p.m.

Ikenberry Commons Residence Hall Library, Room 2025, 301 E. Gregory Dr., Champaign

Free, all ages

For more than 40 years, Sonia Manzano inspired, educated and delighted generations of children on the popular PBS series Sesame Street. During her talk, she will discuss what it was like to be one of the only Latina women in media and broadcasting in the 1970’s, and how representation has changed during her years in the industry. A book signing will follow the event.

Wyclef Jean

7:30 p.m.

$25-$35, 18+

Wyclef Jean is a hip-hop and pop artist from Haiti. His music has made him an icon for the past two decades; he began his work in 1996. He will be joined by special guest Culture Crew.