buzz Calendar (4.12-4.15)

The buzz calendar is a compilation of events happening in the Champaign-Urbana area. Follow our top picks every Monday and Thursday for ideas on what to do on any night of the week, from where to eat to what to watch.

Want to submit an event? Email [email protected]

April 12

Artist’s Alley Open House: Between Line and Plain

4:30-7 p.m.

Artist’s Alley, 405 E. John St., Champaign

Free, all ages

This exhibit features two Central Illinois artists who share a vision of minimalism in painting the Prairie in its broadest abstract sense. The wonderful exhibit by Rosalind Faiman Weinberg and Sally Bliss Nolan will be at Artist’s Alley until April 30, on display daily from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.

Art of Science 8.0 Opening Reception

6-8 p.m.

Broadway Food Hall, 401 N. Broadway Ave., Urbana

Free, all ages

The Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology’s Art of Science program is a celebration of common ground between science and art. Each exhibit comprises images from IGB’s research portfolio enhanced to highlight the beauty and fascination encountered daily in scientific endeavors, from the microscopic to the holistic, from the physical to the abstract.

Illini Union Board Annual Drag Show 

7-10 p.m.

Illini Union, 1401 W. Green St., Urbana

$5-$7, all ages

The Illini Union Board is hosting its Annual Drag Show in the Illini Union I-Rooms on Thursday featuring seven different performers. It will be absolutely fabulous and have you screaming YAAASSSS!

Free Promo Screening: Truth or Dare

7:30 p.m.

The Art Theater, 126 W Church St., Champaign

Free, PG-13

Lucy Hale (Pretty Little Liars) and Tyler Posey (Teen Wolf) lead the cast of Blumhouse’s TRUTH OR DARE, a supernatural thriller from Blumhouse Productions (Happy Death Day, Get Out, Split). A harmless game of “Truth or Dare” among friends turns deadly when someone—or something—begins to punish those who tell a lie—or refuse the dare. (2018, Jeff Wadlow, PG-13, DCP)

Papadosio

9 p.m.

The Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana

$15-$18, 18+

Papadosio’s Spring Tour will bring a blend of electronic and live instrumentation that is sure to leave any frequency fan smiling from ear to ear. They will be joined by Bluetech.

April 13

14th Annual Festival of Quilts

9 a.m.-5 p.m. (Apr 13-Apr 14)

Cunningham Children’s Home, 1301 N. Cunningham Ave., Urbana

Free, all ages

This festival features more than 100 beautifully hand and machine-made quilts on display and for auction. Your visit can also include an opportunity to shop at the festival gift shop, take a tour, or enjoy lunch and baked treats.

Boneyard Arts Festival Reception

4 p.m.

Dulak Pilates Center, 44 E Main St., Champaign

Free, all ages

Come visit the Boneyard Arts studio as a part of the Boneyard Arts Festival. They’ll be having a reception in-studio for artist Damaris Dunham.

Board Game Night

6-10 p.m.

Caffe Paradiso, 801 S. Lincoln Ave., Urbana

Free, all ages

Bring your board games and invite your friends! Grab a tea, coffee, Italian soda, or whatever you like, and get to gaming.

Ryan Groff of Elsinore, Kayla Brown of We the Animals, Kurt Bielema

7:30-11:30 p.m.

Cowboy Monkey, 6 E. Taylor St., Champaign

$5, 19+

A night of local music by these three local torch carriers. Spring is here and our music scene is prepping to come out of hibernation, and this show is just a part of it.

Isle of Dogs

5, 7:30 p.m.

Free, PG-13

When, by executive decree, all the canine pets of Megasaki City are exiled to a vast garbage-dump called Trash Island, 12-year-old Atari sets off alone in a miniature Junior-Turbo Prop and flies across the river in search of his bodyguard-dog, Spots. There, with the assistance of a pack of newly-found mongrel friends, he begins an epic journey that will decide the fate and future of the entire Prefecture. (2018, Wes Anderson, USA, 101 mins PG-13, DCP)

Rodd Tuffcurls & The Bench Press: Mom’s Weekend Celebration!

10 p.m.

$8-$10, 18+

Rod Tuffcurls and The Bench Press is an exciting cover band from Chicago, entertaining crowds at clubs, festivals, weddings, and other events all across the Midwest since 2008. Their unique song repertoire includes hits ranging from Hall & Oates to Taylor Swift, Queen to The Beatles, and Wilson Phillips to Elton John!

April 14

63rd Annual Mom’s Weekend Flower Show

9 a.m.- 6 p.m.

U of I Horticulture Club, 1402 W. Pennsylvania Ave., Urbana

Free, all ages

This year’s theme is Works of Art. Come see the talented garden heads’ take on famous works of art. Bring your mom, roommate, little brother, dog, or even your roommate’s mom’s dog. Everyone is welcome!

Babies and Brunch

9:30 a.m.-1 p.m.

Prairie Fruits Farm and Creamery, 4410 N. Lincoln Ave., Champaign

Free, all ages

During the open house hours, patrons can visit the goats, enjoy the weather, and buy from a full food/beverage menu, all locally-sourced and fresh made. Cheese, gelato, and other farmer friends’ products will be available. Food and beverages are offered first-come-first-served.

Polyvinyl Spring Pop-Up Shop

11 a.m.-3 p.m.

Polyvinyl Records, 717 S. Neil St., Champaign

Free, all ages

Check out Polyvinyl’s third pop-up shop. There will be new music, vinyl & poster giveaways, fresh coffee and donuts, and a raffle for a PV Gift Card. Parking and shop located in the back of the office off Randolph St.

DoCha Music Festival: Young People’s Concert: Pondering Pulses

1 p.m.

Orpheum Children’s Science Museum Theater, 346 N. Neil St., Champaign

Free, all ages

DoCha’s eighth festival invites you to enjoy music from some of Champaign’s own world-class, internationally acclaimed musicians, scholars, and music educators as well gifted young musicians in unique artistic collaborations both within and outside the chamber music genre. Guests will be welcome to enjoy food and drinks at tables set up inside the theatre while listening to great live music in an intimate and stylish setting.

The Floozies

9 p.m.

$17-$20, 18+

Born in funk and bred in the digital age, live electronic duo The Floozies are touring on their most recent album, Funk Jesus. They are joined on tour by Artifakts.

April 15

Mom’s Weekend Brunch

10 a.m.-12 p.m.

Colonnades Club, Memorial Stadium, 1402 S. 1st St., Champaign

$35, all ages

Looking for Mom’s Weekend plans? Be sure to check out the 7th Annual MOMS Brunch at Memorial Stadium! This unique event includes excellent food and drink in the exclusive Colonnades Club, tours of the gorgeous premium suites and club levels, and closes with a commemorative photo-op on historic Zuppke field! Mark your calendar and reserve your tickets now at fightingillini.com/momsbrunch

Theater Walking Tour

1-2 p.m.

One Main Plaza, 1 E Main St., Champaign

$10, all ages

1-hour walking tour of Downtown Champaign’s historic theaters, both past and present. Who built the Virginia? Was the Art always an art theater? Where did all the opera houses go? We’ll answer these questions and more! We will begin and end at the One Main Plaza. Tickets can be bought here: https://www.discovercu.com/events/theater-tour-2018-04-15

Native Culture: Resilient and Dancing with Pride

1:30-3 p.m.

Spurlock Museum, 600 S. Gregory St., Urbana

Free, all ages

Enjoy and learn about the importance of the Native Grass Dance. Trickster Art Gallery, the only Native-owned and operated art institution in the state of Illinois, will present a cultural education program on the University of Illinois campus, in partnership with Native American House and Spurlock Museum.

BYE MOM ft. New Age Americans

9 p.m.

Free, 18+

New Age Americans is a group that formed in 2014 through their love for acoustic music. They are joined by grunge, indie rock band, The Telephone Junkies.