buzz Calendar (4.23-4.25)

The buzz calendar is a compilation of events happening in the Champaign-Urbana area. Follow our top picks every Monday and Thursday for ideas on what to do on any night of the week, from where to eat to what to watch.

Want to submit an event? Email [email protected]

April 23

Treat Yo’self Week: Field Day

4-7 p.m.

The University of Illinois Main Quad

Free, all ages

Come out to the Main Quad to revisit the best part of elementary school: Field Day! There will be a bunch of fun games and contests so you can blow off steam before hunkering down and finishing those last few papers and projects.

Designthinkingmatters: Designing to foster designing

5-6 p.m.

Krannert Art Museum and Kinkead Pavilion, 500 E. Peabody Drive, Champaign

Free, all ages

The Siebel Center for Design cordially invites you to the first event in its Designthinkingmatters talks series, entitled, “Designing to foster designing” with Peter Bohlin, principal and lead architect at Bohlin Cywinski and Jackson.

23rd Annual Asian American Cultural Center Leadership Awards

6:30 p.m.

Alice Campbell Alumni Center, 601 S. Lincoln Ave., Urbana

Free, all ages

Anna Hui will receive an award at the 23rd annual Asian American Cultural Center Leadership Awards. Other awards will be given to students, faculty/staff and community members for excellence in activities, programs and services that promote cross-cultural understanding and support for Asian and Asian American experiences.

The Merry Travelers Pop Up

7:30-8:30 p.m.

Sipyard, 204 W. Main St., Urbana

Free, all ages

The Merry Travelers are a local folk-psychedelic group with originals and covers to share. Join the Sipyard for an hour of music in downtown Urbana’s most authentic outdoor hangout spot. Good vibes central. All are welcome.

WEFT Session

10-11 p.m.

WEFT Community Radio, 113 N. Market St., Champaign

Free, all ages

Join WEFT for a WEFT Community Radio Session. They’re inviting people to come into the studio and hang out.

April 24

Food for Thought Lunchtime Discussion Series: “Striving for Servant Leadership: A Journey through Government and Politics”

Noon-1 p.m.

Asian American Cultural Center, 1210 W. Nevada St., Urbana

Free, all ages

Anna Hui will be presenting at the Asian American Cultural Center’s weekly “Food for Thought” speaker series. She will first share her personal experiences as an undergraduate student at the University of Illinois. She will then discuss her career trajectory in state and federal government, as well as her continued involvement with the Asian American community through her professional experiences.

Museum Happy Hour

4-7 p.m.

Barrelhouse 34, 34 E. Main St., Champaign

Free, all ages

Join us for our monthly #museumhappyhour. This is a great opportunity to network with other young museum professionals and get the latest news on local internships and jobs.

America’s Ambassadors  A Joy to the World: Film Festival

5:30 p.m.

The Art Theatre, 126 W. Church St., Champaign and Esquire Lounge, 106 N. Walnut St., Champaign

Free, all ages

The Sousa Archives and Center for American Music celebrates UNESCO International Jazz Day with an evening of historic films (starting at 5:30 p.m. at the Art Theatre) and music (starting at 7 p.m. at Esquire Lounge) recognizing the contributions of the U.S. State Department’s Jazz Ambassadors program, which was used to enhance America’s diplomatic relationships with countries around the world.

Red Pin Bowling

6-10:30 p.m.

Illini Union, 1401 W. Green St., Urbana

$2, all ages

Win a free game of bowling if you get a strike when the head pin is red. For $2, you get bowling games, shoe rental, 1/2 hours of billiards and one hour of console gameplay. Red Pin Bowling is every Tuesday.

Paws for Paint by Paint Like Me! at Libby’s Lounge

6:30-8:30 p.m.

Libby’s Lounge, 905 S. Neil St., Champaign

$30/head, 21+

Cocktails, your pet and cha-ching, all in one evening. Join us to paint a pet (cat or dog/fully customizable). This canvas features our hologram foil and some sparkles. You will love it. Register on our website.

Tabletop Tuesdays

7 p.m.

The Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana

Free, 18+

Every Tuesday, join The Canopy Club for Tabletop Tuesdays, where you can play Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer, Pathfinder, Magic the Gathering, Vanguard, Yu-Gi-Oh, Shadow Run, Call of Cthulu and many other wild adventure games. $5 Long Island’s will be on special and Manolo’s Pizza & Empanadas will be serving the freshest slices and empanada’s in town for battle fuel.

Brothers Trivia Night

8-10:30 p.m.

Brothers Bar & Grill, 613 E. Green St., Champaign

Cover for under 21, 19+

Brothers Bar & Grill and Wahhayaknow? Free Pub Trivia presents the best trivia night in Champaign. Get in on Tuesday drink specials like $1 Wells and $2 Calls.

Last Trivia of the Semester

10 p.m.-Midnight

Firehaus, 708 S. Sixth St., Champaign

Free, all ages

Join Firehaus for its last trivia of the semester. Trivia will be based on the hit TV show, “How I Met Your Mother.”  Tuesday is pint club night, featuring two different Leinenkugel glasses.

April 25

Bicycle Extravaganza

Noon-2 p.m.

The University of Illinois Main Quad

Free, all ages

It’s a Bicycle Extravaganza. Get a free bicycle tune-up and $1 off any drink coupon at BrewLab with on-site bicycle registration to fight bike thefts. We are here to help with all of your bicycle questions. Join Neutral Cycle on the Main Quad with the University of Illinois Police Department and U-I staff to talk bicycle safety, theft, maintenance and more.

Live Music Date Night

6-8 p.m.

Nando Milano, 204 N. Neil St., Champaign

Free, all ages

Join us every other week for some of your favorite dishes and live music. We’ll have Jim Pryor on the keys bringing us the classics and some jazz.  Make your date night reservations today.

BoHo Sea Fish Necklace

6:15-7:15 p.m.

Beads N Botanicals, 117 N. Broadway Ave. Unit #1, Urbana

$25, all ages

Join us in making a complete necklace, including pendant and chain. Learn simple wire-working and beading techniques. Fish may be either silver colored pewter or green bronze colored pewter. Fish bone beads may be sea foam green, pale periwinkle or aqua blue with a choice of tassel colors.

Carnival of Words

6:30-8:30 p.m.

Champaign Public Library, 200 W. Green St., Champaign

Free, all ages

Please join the University Library and the CU Poetry Group for a Carnival of Words at the Champaign Public Library. We’ll be in Robeson Pavillion Rooms A and B celebrating National Poetry Month with readings and interactive poetry activities. Bring your creativity and/or a poem that you’d like to share (written by you or your favorite poet).

Samuel Adler at 90

7:30-9 p.m.

Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, 500 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana

$4-$10, all ages

Music by guest composers Samuel Adler and Jeremy Gill, with a rare performance of American composer George Rochberg’s Serenata d’Estate.

Wednesday Spotlight

8-11 p.m.

Blackbird Urbana, 119 W. Main St., Urbana

Free, all ages

Join Blackbird Urbana each week for Wednesday Night Spotlight, featuring a killer house band composed of Ian Shepherd, James Jones and Mitchell Killough. Each week will feature a different artist, so come on down.

Statik & LWKY

9 p.m.

$8, 18+

Statik is upbeat and constantly touring on his soulful electronic dance music. LWKY is a live electronic dance crew. They will be joined by Trouble Chasin’, a hip/hop-rap duo from Champaign.