buzz Calendar (4.26-4.29)

The buzz calendar is a compilation of events happening in the Champaign-Urbana area. Follow our top picks every Monday and Thursday for ideas on what to do on any night of the week, from where to eat to what to watch.

Want to submit an event? Email [email protected]

April 26

Contemporary Conversations: Cultural Stereotyping

4-5 p.m.

Spurlock Museum, 600 S. Gregory St., Urbana

Free, all ages

The Spurlock Museum of World Cultures’ new series Contemporary Conversations instigates conversations about contemporary cultural issues, themes and ideas relevant to the University of Illinois and the C-U community.

39th Annual Take Back the Night

5:30-8:30 p.m.

R. A. C. E. S., 300 S. Broadway Ave #154 A, Urbana

Free, all ages

Take Back the Night is an event aimed at raising awareness around sexual violence and calling for its end by bringing together survivors, community members, students and other supporters. Gather on the west side of Lincoln Square Mall in Urbana (intersection of Race and Green Streets). A speak-in will take place after the march at the Independent Media Center (202 S. Broadway, Urbana). For more information call (217) 344-6298.

Cooking Basics: Knife Skills

6-7:30 p.m.

Common Ground, 300 S. Broadway Ave. #166, Urbana

Free, all ages

John, co-op kitchen staff and local producer, will return to the Flatlander classroom to teach knife skills. Join him for a hands-on class to learn how to chop, dice, mince and more like a pro. This class is free, but registration is required. Sign up online through Eventbrite or in store at the registers.

Cooking Class & Wine Tasting – Asian Fusion

6:30-8 p.m.

Grovestone, 1707 W. Kirby Ave., Champaign

$38, 21+ for wine tasting

In this class, you will enjoy a cooking demonstration and a sampling of 5 courses. Each class teaches tasty techniques and food preparation along with providing a tasting of each dish prepared. We will also provide wine tastings with selected dishes. Each student will receive 10% off of their Grovestone purchases the day of the class.

Short Story Time – Open Mic

7-8 p.m.

BrewLab Coffee, 630 S. Fifth St., Champaign

Free, all ages

To continue BrewLab’s literary tradition, the cute coffee shop will be hosting their second monthly Short Story Time. Share an hour of your time and you will be gifted an evening of romance, tragedy and misdirection.

Night at the Krannert Art Museum: Cookies N’ Cold Brew

7-8:30 p.m.

Krannert Art Museum and Kinkead Pavilion, 500 E. Peabody Dr., Champaign

Free, all ages

Come bring Krannert Art Museum alive for a night full of art memes, Bob Ross painting, clay modeling, African-inspired sticker graffiti, life-size Jenga and surround sound visual experiences. Satisfy your cookie and coffee needs at the same time. Bring your friends and spread the word!

She Loves Me

April 26-29, 7:30-10:30 p.m.

Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, 500 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana

$8-$35, all ages

Sometimes your greatest rivalry might turn out to be your greatest romance. Amalia Balasch and Georg Nowack, feuding clerks who work together at Mr. Maraczek’s perfume shop, have disliked each other since they met. But have they really?

April 27

Mugshots for Bad Dogs

5-7 p.m.

Pet Supplies “Plus”, 2821 W. Kirby Ave., Champaign

$20 donation, all ages

Get a mug shot photo and booking of your bad dogs. For a $20 donation, you will receive a digital mug shot and customized booking sheet with your choice of charges for your furry fiend!

Stop and Smell the Rosé

5-8 p.m.

Broadway Food Hall, 401 N. Broadway Ave, Urbana

Free, 21+

Join the Broadway Food Hall for their monthly wine tasting event! You will be tasting several rosé wines, perfect for those warm sunny days right around the corner. Also as part of the monthly wine tasting, you will be rolling specialty sushi and hand rolls at the bar!

Illini Lights Out

5:30-7:30 p.m.

University of Illinois Main Quad

Free, all ages

Help turn off the lights in buildings around the Main Quad to reduce the energy consumption and environmental impact of our campus! Meet in the lobby of the Foreign Language Building at 5:30 P.M. for some brief introductions and instructions. Then head out to turn off the lights of your assigned buildings. After the job is done (around 6-6:30 P.M.), you will head back to FLB to turn in our clipboards and eat some well-deserved pizza! Register here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1D03W_GJ02Zm8As822axg01FfII68y9cJZOuHXDqCfvk/edit?usp=drive_web

Empowered: A Benefit Concert

7-11 p.m.

Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center, 202 S. Broadway Ave., Urbana

$10 suggested donation, all ages

The Empowered benefit concert gathers local musicians (Madelyn Childress, Don Con, Love Handles and more) to raise funds for two causes. The first cause is R.A.C.E.S., a community-based rape crisis center that offers free confidential services to anyone in East Central Illinois affected by sexual assault, abuse or harassment. The second is the locally produced web series Empowered about young female superheroes which seeks to turn poor representation of women in the superhero genre on its head.

Superman (1978)

10 p.m.-12:20 a.m.

The Art Theater, 126 W. Church St., Champaign

$8, PG

The 1978 classic returns to the big screen with Christopher Reeve as the Man of Steel and Margot Kidder as the first modern Lois Lane.

April 28

Adoption Event

12-3 p.m.

PetSmart, 2017 N. Prospect Ave., Champaign

Free, all ages

Cats and kittens will be available for adoption! There is an application process which can be accelerated by applying ahead at Catsnap.org

The Annual Triwizard Tournament

2-5 p.m.

The University of Illinois Main Quad

Free, all ages

Swing by the South Quad for Harry Potter themed booths/games, treats and a chance to win prizes! There will be a full range of games to play from Escape the Devil’s Snare to a Niffler Egg Hunt to The Dueling Club and much more!

Broadway Series: Cabaret

7:30-8 p.m.

State Farm Center, 1800 S. First St., Champaign

$39-$58, all ages

Come hear some of the most memorable songs in theatre history, including “Cabaret,” “Willkommen” and “Maybe This Time.” Leave your troubles outside – life is beautiful at Cabaret – John Kander, Fred Ebb and Joe Masteroff’s Tony Award®-winning musical about following your heart while the world loses its way.

April 29

Intro to Craft Coffee

10-11:30 a.m.

BrewLab Coffee, 620 S. Fifth St., Champaign

$12-$24, all ages

Join us for an introduction to the world of craft coffee with Jessica Easto and Andreas Willhoff, authors of the book Craft Coffee: A Manual. This class will provide a brief history of high-end specialty coffee and explore how different stages of the process — growing, processing, roasting and brewing — affect how your coffee tastes. The class will include tasting one of our single origin coffees brewed four different ways: espresso, filter, French press and cold brew. Books will be available for purchase and signing.

Champaign Book Signing

1-3 p.m.

Jane Addams Book Shop, 208 N. Neil St., Champaign

Free, all ages

Purchase your copy of Doug Quick’s book “Pictures on the Prairie: The First Ten Years of Mid-Illinois Television” ($20 + tax) and have him sign it for you! We’ll take some pictures for his website at https://www.dougquick.com. Check out the Classic TV Video Montage and share some memories of local TV!

Spring Jam 2018: T-Pain

2-4 p.m.

University of Illinois Main Quad

Free w/ I-Card, all ages

The 4th annual Spring Jam Concert will be T-Pain! The concert is free to all University of Illinois students with an I-Card (no exceptions). This event is brought to you by the Illini Union Board, Star Course and the State Farm Center. This is the can’t miss event of the spring at the University.

SOS (Soul on Sunday)

7-9 p.m.

The Iron Post, 120 S. Race St., Urbana

$5, all ages

Building the community through poetry and music.

University of Illinois Campus and University Bands

7:30-10:30 p.m.

Foellinger Great Hall, 500 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana

$4-$10, all ages

Live streamed at https://www.bands.illinois.edu/ Program: Karl L. King, Purple Pageant March, Vincent Persichetti, Serenade No. 11 for Band, Johan de Meij, Aquarium, David Holsinger, Havendance