buzz Calendar (5.3-5.6)

The buzz calendar is a compilation of events happening in the Champaign-Urbana area. Follow our top picks every Monday and Thursday for ideas on what to do on any night of the week, from where to eat to what to watch.

Want to submit an event? Email [email protected]

May 3

GradFest

11 a.m.-1 p.m.

University of Illinois Main Quad

Free, graduating seniors

Join the Student Alumni Ambassadors in celebrating the Class of 2018 at GradFest! Come to the Main Quad for free Einstein Bagel breakfast sandwiches, study packs, human hamster balls, Polaroid pictures and more. Proof of graduation needed to participate.

Cru Reading Day Picnic

11 a.m.-2 p.m.

Hessel Park, 1400 Grandview Dr, Champaign

Free, all ages

This is the last Cru event of the semester, so come out to bid farewell to seniors and friends, enjoy the beautiful weather *cross your fingers* and good company before heading into finals!

Annual YMCA Picnic

12-1:30 p.m.

University YMCA, 1001 S Wright St, Champaign

Free, all ages

All the burgers, hot dogs and veggie burgers you can handle and of course, the party flamingo.

See You CD and Vinyl Ribbon Ceremony

4-4:30 p.m.

Urbana Business Association, 111 W. Main St, Urbana

Free, all age

The Urbana Business Association and City of Urbana will host a ribbon cutting ceremony for the opening of See You CD & Vinyl new location at 208 W Main St, Urbana. See You CD & Vinyl is a record store in downtown Urbana known for their wide reaching collection of titles.

The Lag B’omer + Farewell Block Party

4-6 p.m.

Illini Chabad, 508 S 4th St, Champaign

Free, all ages

After an awesome year, now it’s time to come together from all parts of campus and say farewell and reflect on a great year! There will be a huge BBQ spread of hot dogs, burgers, veggie options, a Kona Truck, puppies, inflatables and more!

Stratton Annual Art Fair

5-7 p.m.

Stratton Academy of the Arts, 902 N. Randolph St, Champaign

Free, all ages

Come check out the Stratton Annual Art Fair (formerly known as micronight) to see what the students have been working on in our 30+ studios all year! There will be performances, art displays, workshops, a dessert walk and concessions for dinner or snacks!

Chocolate Tasting

7-8 p.m.

BrewLab Coffee, 630 S Fifth St, Champaign

$15, all ages

BrewLab is holding another chocolate tasting. Participants will be tasting different truffles and single origin chocolates from Ethereal Confections. Purchase your ticket online.

August: Osage County by Tracy Letts

7:30-10 p.m. (May 3-May 5); 3-5:30 p.m. (May 6) 

The Celebration Company at The Station Theater, 223 S. Broadway Ave, Urbana

$10-$20, all ages

The Weston family gathers in a time of crisis. Beverly Weston, patriarch and acclaimed poet, has disappeared. His daughters return home to assist and comfort their mother — but nobody goes home without baggage. This Pulitzer Prize and multiple Tony Award will call the Station Theatre in Urbana its home.

F*ck Finals 3.0

8 p.m.

The Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin Ave, Urbana

$5, 18+

No Friday final? Or are you just an amazing procrastinator? Come see artists like MEDMA, Gatson, 94 Cove, and more!

May 4

Illinois SuperState Concert Band Festival

8:30 a.m.-9:00 p.m.

Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, Foellinger Great Hall, 500 S. Goodwin Ave, Urbana

Free, all ages

A number of middle school and high school bands perform, culminating in a concert by the Illinois Wind Symphony.

Flea Market

3-7 p.m.

Curtis Road Church of God, 2604 Curtis Rd, Champaign

Free, all ages

Come join the Curtis Road Church this weekend for a great sale to find some amazing deals! You’ll be able to find over 4,000 mostly new items ranging from toys, baby items, housewares, office supplies, tools, jewelry, and much more! Most items are at least 60% off retail.

Board Game Night

6-10 p.m.

Caffe Paradiso, 801 S. Lincoln Ave, Urbana

Free, all ages

Bring your board games and invite your friends! Grab a tea, coffee, italian soda, or whatever you like, and get to gaming!

Jane Doe

9 p.m.-1 a.m.

Tin Roof Tavern, 604 N. Cunningham Ave, Urbana

Free, all ages

Come shake your booty to this fantastically fun rock-n-roll band on Friday night!

May 5

Taste of Broadway: Cinco de Mayo

10 a.m.-3 p.m.

Broadway Food Hall, 401 N. Broadway Ave, Urbana

Varies, all ages

Kickoff the weekend and Cinco de Mayo with special off-menu items available only on Saturday. Nation: Pastrami Street Tacos; Muchacho: Breakfast Burritos; King Kuma: Ahi Tuna Ceviche; Drinks: Lemon Soju Margaritas.

Cinco de Meow

12-5 p.m.

Market Place Shopping Center, 2000 N. Neil St, Champaign

Free, all ages

Join the cats (and dogs) of Hospice Hearts for Cinco de Meow at Marketplace Shopping Center! All welcome!

Free Comic Book Day

12-5 p.m.

G-Mart, 205 N. Market St, Champaign

Free, all ages

This is the 17th year G-Mart Comics celebrates FCBD, offering the community a fun, family-oriented event where everyone can find a comic they’ll enjoy.

Shiba San

9 p.m.

$15-25, 18+

Shiba San is a tech house artist from Paris. Leaving behind a 15-year long career of production experience in the French hip-hop scene, he became fascinated with the sounds of Chicago house and was inspired to create his own productions, infusing his hip-hop influence with the soul of house music. This set is not one to miss, so make sure you grab your tickets now to see him perform live!

May 6

Artifact Encounters

1-3:30 p.m.

Spurlock Museum, 600 S. Gregory St, Urbana

Free, all ages

Get up close on mini-tours of exhibits and collections, try hands-on artifacts, and go head to head with your friends playing some new multicultural board games.

Balinese Gamelan Concert Spring 2018

2-3 p.m.

University of Illinois School of Music, 1114 W. Nevada St, Urbana

Free, all ages

For their Spring 2018 concert, University of Illinois Balinese Gamelan ensembles under the direction of I Ketut Gede Asnawa will perform a program of traditional and new works. The Aranya Kanda section of the Ramayana Dance Drama will be featured in the concert, along with a new composition dedicated to Mt. Agung by I Ketut Gede Asnawa.

Kombucha with Flowers: A Home Brew Workshop

4:30-6:30 p.m.

Delight Flower Farm, 4410 N. Lincoln Ave, Champaign

$20, all ages

At this Kombucha with Flowers class, farmer Holly (a long-time kombucha home brewer) will teach the class how kombucha works, and how to make their own at home using simple ingredients and supplies. The class will take a short farm tour and will harvest herbal flowers from Delight Flower Farm to brew the tea. We will go through the entire process from start to finish, and participants will be able to sample home brew kombucha and herbs.