Alix Page unveils new EP ‘Old News’

The+cover+of+Alix+Pages+newest+album%2C+Old+News+that+came+out+on+Jan.+28.+Page+will+be+performing+live+at+Chicago+on+Feb+8.+

Photo courtesy of Genius

The cover of Alix Page’s newest album, “Old News” that came out on Jan. 28. Page will be performing live at Chicago on Feb 8.

By Isabelle Bertolini, Staff Writer

Alix Page is a 19-year-old, up-and-coming artist and songwriter from Southern California. She started writing songs her sophomore year of high school and has done so ever since.

Now, Page is a sophomore at the University of Southern California majoring in popular music, and her alt-pop sound has gathered over 61,000 monthly listeners on Spotify. 

She is an easy-going and relatable artist whose melodies and lyrics are enticing and nostalgic.

On Jan. 28, Page released her debut extended play “Old News.” It includes two new tracks titled ‘True + Honest” and “June Gloom,” as well as two already released singles, “25” and “Radiohead.” 

In “Old News,” Page searches for clarity in her past experiences with exes, while also trying to let go and move on.

The EP was produced by Brett Kramer from the band Half Alive and mastered by Dave Cooley, who has worked with artists such as M83, Tame Impala, Wolf Alice and more. Page’s sound is similar to that of Phoebe Bridgers and other indie singer-songwriters.

All the lyrics in the tracks are gentle, vulnerable and make listeners feel like they are listening to a close friend. Page’s storytelling writing style was inspired by artists in her childhood, such as The Killers and Taylor Swift, who made hits out of their emotions. 

In her track “25,” Page reminisces on a past relationship while wondering what could have been and where they both will end up in the future. In the second half of the song, Page shifts the tone, moving from acceptance and “no bad blood” to frustration and anger from the circumstances. Nevertheless, she embraces that unpredictability 

“25” is Page’s first music video, followed by “Radiohead” both of which were released at the end of 2021. 

“Radiohead,” describes the way certain things can bring back past feelings and experiences, even when you’re least expecting them. In the track Page sings, “I hate to bring it all back up again / I don’t believe you meant a word you said / I think that she was on your mind while you were on my neck / and I think you might have ruined Radiohead.”

She perfectly captures the frustration of an unresolved past and those subconscious associations we can’t seem to forget — like the band your ex ruined for you. 

‘True + Honest” opens the EP with a slightly grungier/moodier sound, foreshadowing the tone of the rest of the album. 

Page wrote the track ‘True + Honest” when she was 16.  At the he same time, she wrote her other hit, “Frank” about summertime flings, wanting more time and having no way of changing the outcome. The song is an ode to Frank Ocean’s “White Ferrari.”

“Where’s the white ferrari? I wanted a ride, I wanted to ride with you all summer long,” Page said. 

In “June Gloom,” Page breaks down the main feelings of the EP: reliving old relationships, old bad habits, searching for clarity and speaking her true feelings. 

The influence of Phoebe Bridgers comes through in, “June Gloom.” She even cites one of her songs singing, “I sat down / Made a list of all the things I care about / Think I mentioned ‘Scott Street’ and Springsteen / And I wrote your name twice.”

At only 19 years old, Page has already been included in Elite Daily’s 15 artists to watch for 2022. Not only that, but her first track off her new EP, ‘25’, was included in Coup de Main’s Best Releases of 2021.

If you are looking to check her out live, she will be joining Gracie Abrams for her first nationwide tour, stopping in Chicago Feb. 8 at Metro.