Myspace Emo Prom brings punk-pop to The Canopy Club

The+band%2C+Taking+Back+Emo%2C+performs+at+the+Canopy+Club+for+the+MySpace+Emo+Prom+on+Thursday.+The+group+played+covers+of+many+well+known+emo+anthems+such+as+Fall+Out+Boy+and+My+Chemical+Romance.+

Isabelle Bertolini

The band, Taking Back Emo, performs at the Canopy Club for the ‘MySpace Emo Prom’ on Thursday. The group played covers of many well known emo anthems such as Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance.

By Isabelle Bertolini, Staff Writer

Taking Back Emo hosted their infamous “Myspace Emo Prom” night at The Canopy Club last Thursday. Tickets were $10 online and $3 cover at the door for those under 18.

Taking Back Emo is a Chicago tribute band that had the audience sweating and crying off their eyeliner while revisiting the songs that carried them through their teenage angst. They travel with their own prom committee to host an event that is sure to play all the tracks you had on your Myspace Top 8.

Not only did they cover all the hits from the emo/punk-pop scene of the Myspace era, but they also played the music videos along in the background. 

The band performed all of the best emo anthems from Fall Out Boy to The Killers to My Chemical Romance to All American Rejects and more.

Taking Back Emo’s renditions of emo classics were so lively that even the staff couldn’t help but sing and dance along. 

The main room of The Canopy Club was perfectly decorated to host a prom. There were photo stands to take those awkward prom pictures, ring lights to ensure the perfect photo, colored lights that lit up the long curtains and merchandise tables for a token to remember the night. 

Next to the traditional prom photo backdrop, there was another backdrop that had head cutouts so attendees could pretend to be the members of My Chemical Romance. 

Concertgoers did not hold back on dressing up to the occasion, which made electing the prom king and queen difficult. Not to mention the band members were decked out in emo gear, the bassist had done his makeup similar to Marilyn Manson.

Competition was tough, especially with previous competitors in the audience.

Band members brought up audience members to the stage and then elected prom royalty based on how loud the crowd cheered for them. Ultimately, “mohawk guy,” was crowned as king, and both “red dress with cherries,” and “pink shoes and hair with tattoos,” as the queens.

Following the election of the king and queen, the band took a prom picture with the crowd.

“You guys, does my hair look good?” the main singer said, like every other scene kid in 2009 before snapping a high-angle selfie.

Following an intermission, the band came out in My Chemical Romance’s “Black Parade” suits to perform the iconic hit. They went on to play hits by Jimmy Eats World, Good Charlotte, Panic! At The Disco and more. 

They interacted with the crowd, asking members to sing along with them and jumping on and around the speakers on stage.

Toward the end of the concert, the band had on their signature “scene” outfits of black vests, black pants, hand gloves and fishnet/mesh underneath. They paid tribute to more emo and scene. 

“Thanks for screaming with me,” the band said as they wrapped up their set.