Said the Sky discusses new album, upcoming Urbana performance

Said+the+Sky+plays+the+guitar+during+his+Sentiment+Tour+in+Phoenix%2C+Arizona+on+March+17.+Said+the+Sky+will+be+performing+at+The+Canopy+Club+on+Thursday.+

Photo courtesy of @empintermedia Twitter

Said the Sky plays the guitar during his Sentiment Tour in Phoenix, Arizona on March 17. Said the Sky will be performing at The Canopy Club on Thursday.

By Olivia Wink, Contributing Writer

Today at 9 p.m., musician Trevor Christensen, known professionally as Said the Sky, will perform at The Canopy Club in Urbana. Joining him will be Kaivon, Midnight Kids and Olivver the Kid. 

Christensen said he started piano lessons when he was around eight. 

“I think since then, I’ve always known music was going to be a major part of my life in some form,” Christensen said. “I just didn’t know exactly what direction I’d go with it.” 

Christensen said the music he plays is meant to tell a story. He said his music’s electronic sound is distinguished by “expansive drops” that are “separated by introspective storytelling and a warm scenic sound pallet, acoustic elements at the forefront, synths tucking everything in,” which he said offers a meaningful EDM-listening experience. 

He released his first album, “Wide-Eyed,” in 2018. One song from the album, “All I Got” feat. Kwesi, has more than 39 million streams on Spotify. 

Christensen is currently on tour for his latest album, “Sentiment,” which came out in February. “Sentiment” is Christensen’s sophomore album, and he said it is more heavily inspired by music that he listened to growing up in comparison to his older work. 

“I feel like this album is a much more accurate depiction of myself and what I love about music than some of my past work,” Christensen said.

He explained that one of his best friends, Bryan Sammis (Olivver the Kid), played a huge role in putting together his latest project and the songwriting that went into the album. Christensen said that Sammis “ultimately help(ed) set the tone for the whole body of work.” 

Sammis is featured on three of the tracks on “Sentiment.” Other featured artists on the album include The Maine, We the Kings and Boy in Space. 

“The rest of the songwriters on the album are all people I look up to and get inspired by every day,” he said, “so I feel blessed to have worked with every single one of ‘em.”

He said music gives listeners something to bond over and can create unity among audiences. Christensen said he hopes his music instills a sense of connectivity among listeners. 

When asked about what he hopes to communicate to the audience through his performance and bring to the Champaign-Urbana community, Christensen explained, “I hope people listening to my music feel a sense of togetherness.”  

For Christensen, his latest album tells a story familiar for all listeners. He explained that people are never alone, despite moments where they may struggle and feel otherwise. 

“Everyone experiences hardships and can find comfort in that,” he said. “Life sucks sometimes. You’ll get through it. We can all get through anything together.”

o[email protected]