CU restaurants allow students to get their veg on

Paula Chmiel prepares an order with chips at Red Herring Vegetarian Restaurant on Nov. 28, 2018. The establishment is one of several vegetarian options available in Champaign.

By Nate Sun

With the restrictions that COVID-19 has caused, it can be challenging for individuals to find foods that adhere to their alternative eating styles. Thankfully, there are many restaurants in Champaign-Urbana to try, including restaurants with delicious vegetarian and vegan foods. Here are some favorites within the C-U community. 

The Red Herring Vegetarian Restaurant

The Red Herring is a fantastic option for those looking for delicious plant-based food on campus. Located right off Main Quad, they have a fully vegan takeout menu available on Wednesdays through Fridays from 11:30am-11:30pm. They also deliver weekly through Meal Club.

The Dancing Dog Eatery & Juicery

Located on Main Street in downtown Urbana, The Dancing Dog Eatery is certainly a hidden gem. The restaurant has a large selection of vegan eats, including baked goods, lunch and dinner options and a juice bar. They also change their menu weekly so regulars can always find a new favorite. 

Kofusion

This Asian fusion restaurant has a lunch and dinner menu that includes tofu stir fry, vegetable dumplings, edamame and other vegetarian sushi options. Though Kofusion is on the pricier side, it creates one of the best dining experiences that C-U has to offer. Sushi Sunday is $1.

Manolo’s Pizza & Empanadas

Manolo’s is a quick in-and-out joint that offers two handheld food options. Individuals have their choice of vegetarian options from pizza to any kind of empanada imaginable. Unfortunately, The Canopy Club is still closed, as Manolo’s has the best food to eat after a concert in town. 

Basil Thai

Basil Thai has been a staple in the C-U community since 2000. The restaurant offers food items like stir fry, curry and plenty of other veggie options. Any other dish can also be made with veggies instead. When you order, remember to ask if there are any seafood shells used in the sauce or seasoning.

Ambar India

Located just off Green Street, Ambar India offers some of the best vegan Indian cuisines on campus. The restaurant also has a buffet, which is excellent for those who want to stay on a budget. Saag, Aloo and Dal are some classic curries to try!

Jurassic Grill

Who would’ve guessed that a burger joint would have vegetarian options? One of Jurassic Grill’s signature burgers is the Herbivorous Burger, which has a bean patty instead of meat. Depending on if you’re vegetarian or vegan, you can get it with or without the cheese. Of course, fries are a reliable vegetarian side, which is on Jurassic Grill’s menu, too.

The Bread Company

You can’t go wrong with this cozy breakfast, lunch and dinner spot in Urbana. The Bread Company is a family restaurant that offers a plethora of authentic Swiss and European dishes. Its menu includes many vegetarian and vegan options, including vegan pizza.