Add these games to your nighttime gaming repertoire

By Aidan Finn, Staff Writer

There’s no better feeling than that late night vibe while being deeply immersed in a good game. The familiar hum of the air conditioner blaring outside, the tune of chirping crickets outside, a room illuminated by only the flare of onscreen colors, completely surrounding the scene in the game either amidst a fiery conflict or a calming landscape. It ends only when you can’t think straight or day breaks, a completely healthy practice while being an active college student.

I always find it best for particular games to be played at night. It’s something that’s completely psychological yet material in how I select my time. Whether it be my desire for immersiveness when getting into a game or concerning anxiety when not I’m proactive during the day (only to arrive at night after working all day desiring sleep, an unfortunate reality). Luckily, here you can find a plentiful amount of games that are best suited for you night owls out there to truly sink your teeth into.

“Tetris Effect” (2018)

One of the best examples of style-over-substance, “Tetris Effect” is another of probably thousands of versions of the iconic puzzle games so universal that it rivals Mickey Mouse in international recognition. A classic that remains one of the greatest exports of the USSR, “Tetris Effect” shakes up the formula by adding, well, visual effects. But not Windows 7 screensaver effects but rather a colorful showcase animated to an electric soundtrack. It’s a perfect evening moodsetter.

A screenshot of the video game “Tetris Effect” is shown above. The game came out in July 2020. (Photo Courtesy of Steam)

“Outer Wilds” (2019)

One of the most unique and creative adventure games ever made, this modern indie classic is the perfect game for hours of late-night gaming. Atmospheric in its sound design and world-building, “Outer Wilds” has you explore a hand-crafted universe at your leisure, letting you get lost in the vacuum of space in your ship or chill and roast marshmallows with alien bros. That’s the dream right there.

A screenshot of the video game “Outer Wilds” is shown above. The game came out on June 18, 2020. (Photo Courtesy of Steam)

“Metro 2033” (2014)

While scary at times, “Metro 2033” is not directly a horror game. Rather, it’s a game entirely about desensitization to the horrific nature of post-nuclear Russia, where its populace goes about its daily life of suffering with as much concern for mutant bears as for if they left the oven on. It’s a gripping, immersive game following in the tracks of the Half-Life series in larger-than-life sci-fi adventure, but it’s not afraid to chill and strum a guitar around the fire, in classic Slav fashion, according to most (if not all) games set in Russia. It’s a definite must-play that is best played at night.

A screenshot of the video game “Metro 2033A ” is shown above. The game came out on Aug. 25, 2014. (Photo Courtesy of Steam)

“Watch Dogs” (2014)

“Watch Dogs” holds a very unique position in the gaming sphere. It was seen as a failure by many, a thinking man’s Grand Theft Auto clone that was supposed to be used in the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 generation with flying colors. In expectation, it faltered in innovation beyond its competition and was too safe to be the juggernaut it marketed itself to be. Nonetheless, it is not a bad game at all. One aspect of such being is its dystopian Chicago atmosphere. The sound designers went all out in making this game, capturing the chilling hum of passing L trains, the roar of distant motorcycles in conjunction and the light rain illuminated by the hypnotizing hue of colorful LED billboards. The aspects of the game’s Chicago setting and its protagonist named Aiden won me over. Play this for a mood that no game has yet to recreate.

A screenshot of the video game “Watch Dogs” is shown above. The game came out on May 26, 2014.
(Photo Courtesy of Steam)

“Max Payne” (2001)

Essentially the coolest game ever made, this neo-noir magnum opus from Rockstar Games has yet to be topped. You play as Max Payne, a man with nothing to lose, embodying every cliche of a ’90s action hero masterfully without devolving into self-parody. It’s a dark and violent game set appropriately to a dark and stormy New York City during a blizzard. The atmosphere is so thick you can cut and serve it on a platter. The story is tight and packs the right amount of explosions to avoid it being a misery fest. It is almost essential to play this at night. It wouldn’t feel right any other way.

A screenshot of the video game “Max Payne 2001” is shown above. The game came out on June 18, 2020. (Photo Courtesy of Steam)