College Media Madness – The Daily Illini Reigns!

As a result of your support, The Daily Illini raised $13,818 during College Media Madness, winning first place and defeating 26 other newsrooms!
Over the past few weeks, we saw 123 donors generously contribute to our newspaper; our staff will return this favor by continuing to produce quality content and keeping the Champaign-Urbana community informed of everything C-U. Cheers to another 150 years!

Thank you to all those who have donated.
To view the leaderboard, you can click -> here <-

Fundraising Thermometer - CouponBirds Seedling Project

Powered by CouponBirds

About the event

College Media Madness is a first-of-its-kind effort uniting college newsrooms to raise awareness — and money — for the important work student journalists do.

In many communities, student-run outlets are the primary source of news for their campuses and towns. College journalism fills a void left by the closure of professional newsrooms across the country, one that has rapidly accelerated amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The work can’t be done without financial support. Like many newsrooms, student outlets aren’t immune to the immense challenges businesses are facing. That’s where College Media Madness comes in.

All donations made to one of our participating newsrooms during the competition will count toward their goal. Visit collegemediamadness.com to see the full list of participants and see which newsroom is in the running for the top spot.

Every donation to a student newsroom supports the development of the next generation of journalists and media professionals by funding editorial projects and general operating costs. Donations are made directly to the outlets or their affiliated universities.

Message from the editorial board

The Daily Illini is celebrating its 150th anniversary this year, and so much has happened during that time.

Like many other student news publications, The DI has been through a lot over the past year. The staff had to be adaptable and earnest to consistently produce content, even if we faced an uncertain future.

Despite all that, we were excited to watch both ourselves and our fellow student publications grow and thrive in a time when journalism was needed most. This year, with the Illini in the tournament, and newsrooms across the nation needing funds more than ever, we thought this would be a fun endeavor for everyone.

Here’s to another 150 years! Thank you.