University to temporarily close testing sites Thursday, Friday

Kevin Gao

Illinois students study and lounge on the tables outside of the Illini Union on April 3.

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor

All 15 on-campus COVID-19 testing sites will be closed Thursday and Friday to train new staff and add “essential equipment,” the University announced in a Massmail on Wednesday.

The closures give time for the University to prepare for a spike in testing as thousands of students and staff return to campus.

The requirement for faculty and staff to get tested before entering campus buildings has been waived for this week.

All three testing sites that are open on weekends — Washington Park, the National Center for Supercomputing Applications and Illini Union 314 — will be open Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.

All testing sites will reopen on Aug. 17 with normal hours; 8 a.m.-6 p.m. from Monday to Friday, except for the State Farm Center location, which opens at 7 a.m.

This is a developing story. The Daily Illini will update as more information is released.