University to change testing schedule for Labor Day

Ryan Ash

A student enters the COVID-19 testing tent located outside the National Center for Supercomputing on Sunday. This site will be one of the eight open on Labor Day.

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor

The University will modify its testing hours for Labor Day on Sept. 7. 

Eight testing sites will be open from 9 a.m to 1 p.m. on Labor Day: Alice Campbell Alumni Center, Campus Recreation Center East, Illini Union, National Center for Supercomputing Applications, State Farm Center, Student Dining and Residential Programs, Veterinary Medicine Tent and Washington Park. 

Both Alice Campbell Alumni Center and State Farm Center are now open on weekends from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. 

After 8,073 new tests in Champaign County on Saturday, 54 more people tested positive for COVID-19. 

Of the 2,259 people who’ve tested positive for the virus countywide, 441 still have the virus, 1,798 have recovered, 20 have died and two are currently hospitalized. Over 212,000 tests have been administered in Champaign County for a running positivity rate of 1%. 

Of the active cases, 304 are from the 61820 ZIP code in Champaign. Over half of those who’ve tested positive in the county have been between the ages of 11 and 30. 

On campus, the University conducted over 33,000 saliva tests from Aug. 24 to 25, and 217 of them came back positive. 

The University shattered its previous single-day testing high on Aug. 24 and 25, with over 17,600 tests on Aug. 24 and nearly 16,000 on Aug. 25.  

On Aug. 24 and 25, Illinois announced 36,000 and 39,000 tests statewide, meaning the University may have conducted nearly half of the state’s tests on both days. 

The University has conducted over 121,000 saliva tests since July, including 69,225 tests from Aug. 19 to 25. Of those, 480 came back positive, or 0.69%. 

Meanwhile, The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District reported 309 new cases of COVID-19 for the week ended Aug. 26, the county’s highest weekly total to date. 

The Illinois Department of Public Health confirmed 1,880 new cases of COVID-19 in Illinois on Saturday and attributed 11 more deaths to the virus. 

Illinois performed 48,784 new tests in 24 hours and has completed 3,973,089 tests through Saturday. 

@esimmsnews