Champaign County Labor Day weekend: 364 new COVID cases, 492 active

Kushi+Gowda+checks+in+at+the+coronavirus+testing+site+located+on+the+third+floor+of+the+Illini+Union+on+Aug.+23.+Champaign+County+has+reported+364+new+cases+over+Labor+Day+weekend.++

Ryan Ash

Kushi Gowda checks in at the coronavirus testing site located on the third floor of the Illini Union on Aug. 23. Champaign County has reported 364 new cases over Labor Day weekend.

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor

The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District confirmed 364 new cases of COVID-19 in Champaign County from over 51,000 tests done from Friday to Monday of Labor Day weekend, for a new case positivity rate of 0.71%.

Of Monday’s 12,886 tests, 67 turned up new cases, or 0.52%. CUPHD reported that another 463 people have recovered from the virus, bringing the active case total to 492 countywide.

ZIP code 61820 is Champaign’s biggest contributor to the pandemic: 363 of the active cases reside there, and there have been 1,082 confirmed cases there. Fifty-three of Monday’s new cases came from 61820.

The same zip code leads Champaign County in total tests with  114,672.

As of Labor Day, 2,873 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in Champaign County. Of them, 2,361 have recovered, three are currently hospitalized and 20 have died.

The county has conducted 299,792 tests for the coronavirus since the pandemic began. Nearly 59% of all tests have been of residents between the ages of 10 and 30 years old.

Additionally, 966 county cases have been from people between the ages of 10 and 20, while another 736 cases have been between 20 and 30 years old.

On Sunday, Illinois officials announced 1,403 new cases of COVID-19 and five more deaths. Statewide, 249,580 have tested positive for the virus and 8,171 have died from COVID-related complications.

The Illinois Department of Public Health put 29 of the state’s 102 counties on its warning list for a possible COVID-19 resurgence. Champaign didn’t make the list.

As of Sunday, Champaign County ranked 11 of 102 in confirmed cases, but first in testing rate per capita. The county has administered 143 tests per every 100 residents, far and away the best in Illinois.

Sangamon County, the next best, has given 43 tests per 100 residents.