Champaign County COVID-19 updates: 136 new cases on Sunday, 323 active

Ryan Ash

Three students sit at a table outside of Lundgren Hall on Sunday. Champaign County reported 136 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, bringing the total number of active cases in the county to 323.

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor

After 9,227 new tests, the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District confirmed another 136 cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, bringing Champaign County to 323 active cases. 

ZIP code 61820 is Champaign’s biggest contributor to the pandemic: 203 of the active cases reside there, and there have been 1,558 confirmed cases there. 

The same ZIP code leads Champaign County in total tests with 151,400. 

As of Sunday, 3,594 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in Champaign County. Of them, 3,251 have recovered, one is currently hospitalized and 20 have died.

The county has conducted 369,232 tests for the coronavirus since the pandemic began. Over 62% of all tests have been for people between the ages of 10 and 30 years old.

In total, 1,422 cases have been from people between the ages of 10 and 20, while another 921 cases have been between 20 and 30 years old.

On Saturday, the Illinois Department of Public Health confirmed 2,121 new cases of COVID-19 statewide and 22 additional deaths. As of Saturday, 259,909 people in Illinois have tested positive for COVID-19, while 8,295 people have died from it since the start of the pandemic.

Illinois has conducted over 4.68 million tests since the pandemic began, including 56,594 tests on Saturday.