Testing sites shift indoors for cold weather

Ryan Ash

Alexa English inspects her test tube to see how much saliva it contains while taking a COVID-19 test at the Illini Union on Sept. 30. Several testing sites will shift indoors beginning Monday.

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor

Beginning Oct. 12, several campus COVID-19 testing locations are shutting down for the semester, while other indoor locations are taking their places. 

Thirteen of the remaining 14 sites will be indoors for the colder weather. 

In a Massmail sent on Wednesday, the University announced that the COVID-19 testing sites at Freer Hall, Graziano Plaza, Illini Grove, Lot 31, South Quad and Washington Park will no longer be in use. 

Three new testing locations are opening at the Funk Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Science Library Heritage Room on 1101 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana, the Ice Arena at 406 E. Armory Ave., Champaign and the Activities and Recreation Center at 201 E. Peabody Drive, Champaign.

All three sites are open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, while the Funk ACES Library location is open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., on Saturdays and Sundays.

Four existing testing locations are shifting indoors: The Alice Campbell Alumni Center, Foellinger Auditorium, Krannert Center for the Performing Arts and National Center for Supercomputing Applications. 

The Veterinary Medicine site at 2001 S. Lincoln Ave. is the only remaining testing tent. 

“Heaters will be added to maximize comfort for the testing site employees and those who test,” wrote the COVID-19 Executive Steering Committee on Return to On-Campus Operations. 

Nine testing locations are open over the weekends, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. 

Alice Campbell Alumni Center

Campus Recreation Center East

Funk ACES Library Heritage Room

Ice Arena

Illini Union Illini Rooms

Illinois Street Residence Hall

National Center for Supercomputing Applications

State Farm Center (open 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday)

Student Dining and Residential Programs Building

@esimmsnews