UI has lowest week of new cases since summer

Ryan Ash

A coronavirus test site worker organizes vials at the Illini Union on Sept. 30. Some students who have previously been infected by COVID-19 are now getting false positives from their tests.

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor

After a high of 48 new cases on Monday, University testing had its best week since students began moving into campus, with the lowest weekly total of new COVID-19 cases since the summer. 

During the week ending Friday, the University found 134 new cases from 57,000 tests. The next lowest week spread of COVID-19 happened three weeks ago when the University found 181 new cases from 58,000 tests. 

The campus community is far from early September when 895 additional students, faculty and staff tested positive for COVID-19 in a single week. 

Another 11 new campus cases were confirmed on Saturday. Since Aug. 15, 2,614 people have tested positive for COVID-19 on campus. 

Most of these cases — 2,326 — were found after classes began on Aug. 24, meaning the majority of the on-campus pandemic is from community spread. 

To date, the University has conducted more than 520,000 tests for COVID-19 and identified 2,701 cases of COVID-19 since the testing program began on July 6. 

The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District began displaying countywide quarantine totals on its website on Thursday. 

On Sunday, 195 people were released from quarantine, while another 11 quarantined people tested positive for COVID-19. 

As of Sunday, 7,863 people have quarantined in Champaign County after potential exposure to a COVID-19 positive person, with 1,046 of them currently quarantining. In total, 831 of these close contacts have tested positive for the virus during quarantine. 

Countywide, 351 people are isolating after testing positive for the virus. Sunday saw 55 confirmed new cases. Of the new cases, 29 of them hail from the 61820 ZIP code, which encompasses most of Campustown. 

@esimmsnews