Questions for the Chancellor 11/1/2020

Mark Capapas

Chancellor Robert Jones prepares to deliver the State of the University address on Jan. 24, 2020. Jones answers questions from the Illinois community below.

By JJ Kim

What plans are in place for any students planning on coming back to off-campus housing after Thanksgiving break? What is the University expecting after Thanksgiving?

Students who return to campus or the local community after Fall Break should test for COVID-19 as soon as possible after they return to campus. Continue to check the COVID-19 website for the most up-to-date testing site locations and hours. Students who return to or have remained in the community after Fall Break should limit themselves to essential activities only, such as testing, visiting the pharmacy and buying groceries through the end of the semester. Some study spaces will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Information about locations and hours will be posted on the COVID-19 website before Fall Break. Wellness Support Associates will be checking for building access compliance at the entrances. You must be up-to-date on your COVID-19 testing requirements. Students who will be on-campus or in the community during breaks are required to continue their regular COVID-19 testing schedule. We will continue to offer on-campus COVID-19 testing sites even during breaks. Students who fail to follow our testing policies are subject to student discipline.

With the new plan in place for second semester, how do you think it will affect coronavirus on campus?

The new Spring 2021 Academic Calendar was created under advisement of the SHIELD team. The changes, including requiring students to test negative twice before they can enter campus facilities and removing spring break, were recommended to curb COVID-19 spread. We believe these are necessary precautions. We know students are disappointed by the removal of Spring Break, and we are providing small breaks working to put in place more ways to support their mental health during the semester.

How often do you presume students are not getting tested twice weekly if they’re living on or around campus but not needing to go into any campus building? Is there any enforcement for this?

All students who are living in the Champaign-Urbana-Savoy area are mandated to be testing on-campus for COVID-19 on their scheduled schedule (twice per week or every other day). We have records of who is testing, and we have been issuing student discipline for individuals who are not in compliance. Since the beginning of the semester, more than 1,000 students have faced discipline for violations of COVID-19 policies, including failure to participate in COVID-19 testing.