COVID-19 continues surge in Illinois, campus

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor

COVID-19 is surging across Illinois, and Champaign County is no exception. 

Excluding the University’s COVID-19 tests, Region 6 of Illinois, which includes Champaign County, reached a seven-day average of 10.2% test positivity, up from 8% on Oct. 24, where the state imposes additional restrictions. 

On Saturday, the Illinois Department of Public Health reported another 12,428 cases of COVID-19, the highest single-day total on record. Illinois broke its record of single-day cases three days in a row.

The previous day, the U.S. set its own single-day record with 132,797 cases of COVID-19 found in a single day. Saturday was a close second, with 126,156 new cases of COVID-19.

Every single region in Illinois has moved back to Phase 3 of the reopening plan, with indoor dining banned and gatherings further restricted. 

On campus, virus spread has taken a turn for the worse as well. After weeks with 85 new cases, 109 new cases and 248 new cases, the University reported 336 new cases of COVID-19 during the week ended Friday, including two days with more than 80 new cases apiece.  

“This past weekend saw gatherings associated with Halloween, football and no doubt other events,” wrote Chancellor Robert Jones in a Massmail sent on Friday. 

A weekly total of that magnitude hasn’t been reached since early September when the University experienced a surge of nearly 900 new cases of COVID-19 in a single week. 

Almost 3,100 students, faculty and staff have tested positive for COVID-19 since classes began on Aug. 24.

@esimmsnews