Champaign County lies in phase 1b of vaccine plan

Ryan Ash

Needles wait to be filled with the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine. Champaign County has administered 18,847 COVID-19 vaccines.

By JJ Kim, Editor-in-Chief

Champaign County has administered 18,847 COVID-19 vaccines or 1.36% of the eligible population according to the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District. From a state perspective, Illinois has administered a total of 719,995 doses of the vaccine as of Jan. 26. 

Champaign County is currently in Phase 1b, where only health care personnel, long-term care facility residents, persons over 75+, persons 65+ with underlying health conditions and persons 65+ are eligible to receive the vaccine. Out of the 209,922 people in Champaign County, 172,760 or about 82% of the population is eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, according to CUPHD. 

Out of the 18,847 administered, only 2,354 people are fully vaccinated for COVID-19. When compared to the entire state, 145,772 people are fully vaccinated, which makes 1.14% of the population of Illinois fully vaccinated. 

Chicago (143,903) and Cook County (128,536) have administered the most vaccines in the state, accounting for nearly 40% of the states administered vaccines.