Gov. Pritzker tours Champaign County vaccination clinic

Gov.+J.B.+Pritzker+delivers+his+remarks+after+touring+the+iHotel+vaccination+clinic+in+Champaign+County.+Pritzker%2C+along+with+several+local+government+and+health+officials%2C+updated+the+press+on+coronavirus+news+on+Wednesday%2C+Feb.+3.+

Gov. J.B. Pritzker delivers his remarks after touring the iHotel vaccination clinic in Champaign County. Pritzker, along with several local government and health officials, updated the press on coronavirus news on Wednesday, Feb. 3.

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker stopped by Champaign County on Wednesday to get an inside look at the local health district’s vaccination efforts.

After touring the iHotel alongside Champaign-Urbana Public Health District Administrator Julie Pryde, Pritzker and several local officials made remarks and answered questions on the state’s ongoing COVID-19 response.

Champaign Mayor Deb Feinen opened the day’s remarks thanking hundreds of local businesses for taking the “Champaign County Safe Pledge,” as well as the University system for its research and testing efforts against the pandemic, among others.

“I can see just from the short time I had walking through this facility and talking to people that this is community that is bound together,” Pritzker said. “And it’s no doubt why this is one of the leading communities fighting the pandemic in the state and beyond it, of course with this amazing vaccination site.”

Pryde, in many ways the face of Champaign County’s COVID-19 response, followed soon after, thanking community organizations who’ve contributed to pandemic relief efforts along with the leaders of CUPHD.

State Senator Scott Bennett, Urbana Mayor Diane Marlin and Representative Carol Ammons also joined in remarks at the iHotel, crediting local health officials and organizers alike.

Ammons shouted out the CUPHD administrator, for coming on the radio with her twice a month to talk all things COVID-19.

“Thank (Julie Pryde) so much for me Governor Pritzker, for helping to dispel the disinformation that was being put out every single day,” Ammons said. “Your steadfast commitment to truth has saved many in our community. This could be much worse and it is not.”

@esimmsnews