Champaign County vaccination rate ranks sixth in Illinois

Ryan Ash

A nurse administers the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine to a Champaign County resident on Jan. 12 at the I-Hotel.

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor

Champaign County continues to help set the pace for vaccinations across the state: 2.48% of the population is vaccinated as of Monday, good for sixth across all 102 Illinois counties.

All five counties ahead of it in vaccination rate — Adams, Calhoun, Piatt, Clinton and Scott — have a population below one-third of Champaign County.

The county has administered 30,360 total doses of the vaccine as of Monday, also the sixth highest out of Illinois counties. Just under 12% of the 209,983 county population has been vaccinated.

The county is posting a seven-day rolling average of 1,645 vaccine doses administered per day.

Champaign is barreling through Phase 1B of the vaccine rollout, which includes persons 65 and up,  essential frontline workers like first responders, corrections officers and inmates, educators and workers in public transit, food and agriculture, postal service, grocery stores, and manufacturing.

Phase 1A prioritized healthcare workers and long-term care facilities staff and residents. Next up is Phase 1C, which includes people ages 16 to 64 with underlying health conditions and other essential workers.

@esimmsnews