Champaign County ranks second in full vaccination rate

Ryan Ash

An Illinois student receives the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine at the I-Hotel on Feb. 11. 23.3% of Champaign County has received the first dose of the vaccine.

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor

Out of the 1,640 total new doses administered, another 115 people received their first dose of the vaccine in Champaign County according to data updated by the Illinois Department of Public Health on Sunday.

After Friday’s vaccinations, 48,964 residents — 23.3% of the Champaign County population — have received the first dose of the vaccine. The percentage of residents who have received their first dose is fourth highest of Illinois’ 102 counties.

If measured against the county’s 172,760 vaccine-eligible adults, 28.3% have received the first dose.

The percentage of fully vaccinated county residents, now at 13.2%, ranks even better against other counties — second-highest behind Adams County’s 19.4% fully vaccinated rate.

This week’s allocation of doses was mainly for administering second doses for previously vaccinated individuals.

“We expect to have more first dose allocations next week and the week after, ” said the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District on its website. “We are not currently setting up first dose clinics. Please keep an eye on our website and social media pages for information about when additional vaccines become available.”

Regional COVID-19 trends

The seven-day rolling test positivity rate for Region 6, the collection of 21 counties in east-central Illinois, has dropped to a new seven-month low.

At 2.6%, it’s the lowest since July 18. Champaign’s rolling positivity rate, at 2.9%, is the lowest since Oct. 12.

CUPHD confirmed 19 new cases of COVID-19 among county residents after 10,401 newly processed tests.

Active cases in the county continue to decline. The number of people considered active for COVID-19 dropped by 39, to 369 cases countywide.

A week prior, 556 residents were considered active for the virus.

To date, 18,209 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in Champaign County. Of them, 17,711 have recovered and 129 have died.

@esimmsnews