Red Cross blood donation to support cancer patients and others needing blood

Daily Illini File Photo

Megan Kornesczuk, sophomore in Business, prepares to give blood at the Illini Union on Thursday, November 13.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The American Red Cross is urging the public to support patients battling cancer and other diseases by donating blood during Breast Cancer Awareness Month this October.

The American Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission.

Breast Cancer Awareness Month is an annual international health campaign, which started in 1985, organized by major breast cancer charities every October to increase awareness of the disease. It also raises funds for the research that focuses on the cause, prevention, diagnosis, treatment and cure of breast cancer.

According to American Cancer Society, there is expected to be more than 1.6 million new cases of cancer diagnosed across the country within this year. Among all, 246,600 of the cases will be invasive breast cancer.

During the curing process of cancer patients, they may need blood from chemotherapy to surgery and treatment of complications. Volunteer donors are the one and only way for those needing transfusions to get blood products.

Mary Kay Huppert was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. “I was a nurse for 40 years. I saw blood transfusions save a lot of lives.” She received two transfusions herself while being treated for breast cancer.

In order to help the patients, the Red Cross must collect about 14,000 blood donations per day. Donors of all blood types are needed.

To make an appointment to give blood, donors can either download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800- RED CROSS (1-800- 733-2767). Donors are encouraged to make appointments and complete the RapidPass online health history questionnaire at redcrossblood.org/rapidpass to save time when donating.

There will also be upcoming donation opportunities within the university.

10/24: 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Kappa Sigma, 212 E. Daniel St.

10/25: 12 – 4 p.m., Kappa Delta Rho, 1110 S. 2nd St.

10/27: 12 – 4 p.m., University of Illinois Newman Hall, 604 East Armory Avenue

10/19: 12 – 4 p.m., University of Illinois Funk (ACES) Library, 200 ACES LIAC, 1101 South Goodwin, MC-633

Sabrina Yan