Vice chancellor for student affairs announces May retirement

Renee Romano, vice chancellor for student affairs, announced she will retire in May 2017.

By Megan Jones, Staff Reporter

The vice chancellor for student affairs announced she is retiring in May.
Renée Romano has served as the vice chancellor since 2006, and her retirement brings the end of a 38-year career in higher education.
She sent an email to faculty to announce her retirement and said she is leaving the University in good hands with the new chancellor Robert Jones and other faculty members in charge.
“The leadership of our team, the associate vice chancellors and department heads, are all extremely knowledgeable and experienced, providing a strong foundation for the future,” she said. “Over the past 11 years, we have worked together to make sure students, faculty, staff and alumni understand what we do and how critical we are to the educational mission of this great University.”
She said she will be “all in” and doing everything she can to ensure a smooth transition to the next vice chancellor.
“I have a special place in my heart for Student Affairs and the staff in each of our units,” she said. “No matter our political affiliations, busy schedules, job responsibilities or personal problems, you always put students first and try to help them in whatever way you can. It’s why we are so skilled at adapting to new challenges and changes in students and the environment.”
majones5@dailyillini.com