Illini Republicans gather for final presidential showdown

A+student%2C+part+of+the+Illini+Republicans+Club%2C+holds+up+a+handmade+sign+supporting+Trump+at+a+debate+watch+party.+

Lily Katz

A student, part of the Illini Republicans Club, holds up a handmade sign supporting Trump at a debate watch party.

By Jessica Bursztynsky, Staff Writer

The Illini Republicans and the Fox News Channel hosted a viewing party Tuesday night to watch the finale of the highly contested presidential election.

As they watched the results coming in, Debbie Bernal, one of the night’s coordinators, handed out “Trump Pence 2016” campaign stickers.

“I feel like it was really important to know that there are students out here than can unite together,” Bernal said. “To show that you care about this country and this future.”

The event, located in an auditorium in Noyes Laboratory, had about 30 students with people filtering in and out of the party.

Students donning Trump apparel waved signs and ate pizza, waiting for a result on both who won the election and who won an Apple TV that was being given away to an audience member.

Bernal said she was not always a supporter of Trump, but was excited to see him leading in the early results in the evening.

In state elections, Mark Kirk (R) lost to Tammy Duckworth (D) for the Illinois seat in the U.S. Senate.

“I think Tammy won fair and square, it would’ve been cool to see Kirk win and a lot of our members worked hard for him, so I’m sure they’re disappointed but that’s how democracy works,” Bernal said. “If they wanted Tammy Duckworth, then that’s what Illinois wants, and hopefully she can do good things for Illinois.”