University Vice Provost takes new job at Duke

Abbas Benmamoun explains the purpose of the newly approved background check policy at the Senate Executive Committee meeting Monday.

By Megan Jones, Staff Writer

The man in charge of retaining faculty at the University has decided to take a job elsewhere. Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs and Academic Policies Abbas Benmamoun is leaving Illinois and headed for Duke, according to a Duke University press release.

Starting June 1, he will serve as Duke’s vice provost for faculty advancement, which is a new position that focuses on retaining and recruiting diverse faculty.

At Illinois, he works closely with colleges to hire and retain faculty, leadership development and faculty advancement.

“Recruiting and retaining excellent and diverse faculty and providing them with the resources, support structure and environment to excel and do what they do best as educators and researchers is key to the success of a dynamic and world-renowned institution like Duke,” Benmamoun said in Duke’s press release.

The Daily Illini will speak with Benmamoun Tuesday morning.

Before serving as vice provost, he served as head of the Department of Linguistics and director of the School of Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics.  

@meganash_jones