Champaign sheriff releases bodycam footage from shooting involving UI student

A+police+officer+shot+an+allegedly+armed+student+in+the+leg+Thursday+afternoon++near+John+and+Locust+streets.+The+23-year-old+male+suffers+non-life+threatening+injuries+and+has+been+taken+to+the+hospital.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

A police officer shot an allegedly armed student in the leg Thursday afternoon  near John and Locust streets. The 23-year-old male suffers non-life threatening injuries and has been taken to the hospital.

A police officer shot an allegedly armed student in the leg Thursday afternoon near John and Locust streets. The 23-year-old male suffers non-life threatening injuries and has been taken to the hospital.

Therese Pokerney

Therese Pokerney

Therese Pokerney

By Karen Liu, Summer Editor-In-Chief

The Champaign County Sheriff’s Office released bodycam footage from the July 12 shooting near First and Armory Streets.

University student, Samuel Applebaum, was shot in the leg by the police after refusing to drop what was thought to be a gun and pointing it at the officers. It was later determined Applebaum was holding a Beretta air pellet pistol that had no features indicating it wasn’t a real gun unless closely inspected, according to a press release sent out on July 13.

The footage released was from the bodycam of Deputy Cory Christensen, Champaign County Sheriff Dan Walsh said in an email. He said the investigation was far enough along that releasing the video wouldn’t impair the progress.

The investigation is being carried out by the Illinois State Police.

Warning: Video contains content some may find graphic or disturbing.