Officials respond to Illini football player Oladipo domestic abuse allegations

Lere+Oladipo+is+a+part+of+a+tackle+during+the+Illinis+game+versus+Akron+on+Aug+31.+

Jonathan Bonaguro

Lere Oladipo is a part of a tackle during the Illini’s game versus Akron on Aug 31.

By Miles Powers-Huang, Staff Writer

Illinois sophomore defensive tackle Lere Oladipo has not suited up for the Illini since the Sept. 9 matchup at the University of Connecticut despite not carrying an injury. Head coach Lovie Smith has stated in several press conferences since then that Oladipo is suspended, without giving a timetable for his return or a reason for his suspension.

Screenshot courtesy of Twitter

On Wednesday, a University of Illinois student Hana Renee Inman-Grabow, claiming to have been previously romantically involved with Oladipo, posted a series of tweets accusing Oladipo of infidelity and domestic violence. Inman-Grabow also claimed she traveled with the Illinois football team as well.

Photo Courtesy of Renee Inman-Grabow
Pictured above is Hana Renee Inman-Grabow’s injured arm. Inman-Grabow posted multiple pictures of injuries on Twitter Wednesday.

Illinois Athletics made an official statement regarding the allegations on Wednesday evening. The Daily Illini was not included on the release of the initial statement and while the release is verified and correct, it was originally referenced from other news sources reporting on the issue.

“We are aware of accusations involving football student-athlete Lere Oladipo,” said Illinois Athletics. “Lere has been and remains suspended from all team activities, pending final resolution of his case within the university’s student discipline process. The University of Illinois Division of Intercollegiate Athletics takes allegations such as these very seriously. DIA has comprehensive policies and procedures that provide for immediate suspension and independent review of potential major offenses. By design, no member of DIA’s staff has a role in any investigation or review of such matters. The University has an investigatory and disciplinary process for all students and, per its policy, DIA will use the University’s findings of fact to make a final determination regarding Lere’s status as a student-athlete. DIA is committed to creating an environment based on family, respect, and civility and is working diligently to be a leader on this campus and across college athletics in this important area.”

Another photo of Renee Inman-Grabow’s injuries.

The account, officially @HanaRenee13, also posted pictures and a video showcasing injuries to Inman-Grabow allegedly caused by Oladipo.

Oladipo was previously suspended in 2018 for four games, stemming from an arrest by University police last October in which charges were later dropped. Oladipo had three misdemeanors related to domestic violence following an argument with a woman, which were dropped by Assistant Champaign County State’s Attorney Brooke Hinman following the woman and a witness changing their stories at the time of testimony.

Oladipo was expected to be a part of the defensive tackle rotation for the Illini this season.

This is an ongoing investigation and The Daily Illini will be following up on the allegations.

@MilesP_H

This story was updated on Wednesday, Oct. 30 at 8:52 p.m. by Meghan Rest, Sports Editor.

Editors note: The photo captions in this article have been updated. The captions now reflect the photos posted to Inman-Grabow’s Twitter account on Wednesday, Oct. 30 depicting injuries she claims were caused by Oladipo have yet to be verified.