University Housing changes quarantine, isolation procedures

N95+masks+are+in+a+university+residents+mailbox+in+FAR.+The+university+has+provided+all+students+in+university+housing+with+a+free+N95+mask.+

Sydney Laput

N95 masks are in a university resident’s mailbox in FAR. The university has provided all students in university housing with a free N95 mask.

By Royal Shrestha, Staff Writer

The University has begun handing free N95 masks to students living in residential housing, as well as giving students more options to isolate themselves in one of the many additional isolation spaces. 

Students were encouraged to take a COVID-19 test before coming on campus and required to test at least once on campus before gaining building access. For students that tested positive, the University recommended quarantining at home if possible according to the official press release.

“In collaboration with CUPHD and Student Affairs, we have identified additional spaces for residents who test positive to isolate if they are unable to safely return to their permanent residence to do so,” said Mari Curry, director of Housing Information and Marketing, in an email.

Students that test positive within the last 90 days do not need to quarantine as long as they remain asymptomatic. Some common symptoms include fevers, coughs, new loss of taste and smell and various others provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Residents within five months of receiving their second vaccine dose or those that have received their booster will also be required to quarantine if identified as a close contact. 

The University has and will be continuing to provide resources for the safety of students and staff. Students in residence halls can pick up their free N95 mask in their mailbox, and all other students can pick up one N95 mask across various locations on campus. Resident dining halls are also continuing their Good2Go Carry Out program. 

“It allows residents more flexibility with their classic meals usage,” Curry said. “This new program addresses students’ busy schedules and allows students the choice of where they eat their meals. A more formal rollout of the program occurred when residents returned to campus for spring.” 

The University is making a slow transition back to in-person instruction and allowing students to resume normal in-person activities. Starting this week, normal face-to-face instruction is resuming with students still being required to gain building access.