‘If Beale Street Could Talk’ pulls at heartstrings

By Olivia Rosenberg, Assistant buzz Editor

There is nothing quite like putting your trust in love despite the world fighting against you. The fight between hate and love continues to wage on, forcing one to ultimately pick their side.

In Barry Jenkins’ 2018 “If Beale Street Could Talk,” adapted from the 1974 James Baldwin novel, Tish, played by Kiki Lane, must make her fight for her choice of love after her partner, Fonny, played by Stephan James, is wrongly arrested for a crime he didn’t commit.

After finding out she is pregnant, Tish and her family fight to free Fonny before the birth of the child. 

In his novel, and in Jenkin’s film, Baldwin explores the idea of Beale Street being an integral symbol in the lives of all Black people, from Tennessee or not.

The racism and discrimination in Memphis is reminiscent of the injustice all over the country. The story told by Baldwin and Jenkins examines just a few lives impacted by this prejudice. 

Jenkins’ film is faithful in his adaptation, giving the true direction to Baldwin’s original work and allowing it to carry through the screen. Jenkins only truly takes control when it comes to film flourishes, elevating the emotional impact. 

There is a tenderness and intimacy in this film that is unmatched to most dramas. The deep stares into the camera and palpable emotions draw the viewer into the story world, feeling every moment. Though slow moments are frequent in this drama, it’s the heightened, quick paced scenes that are the highlights. 

The non-linear storyline creates tension as the viewer sees the love between Tish and Fonny simultaneously kindling for the first time and being challenged time and time again in the alternating plot lines. Waiting for the resolution of this film feels like holding your breath, being constantly unsure of Fonny’s fate. 

The writing of this film is nuanced; the words of Baldwin adapted to screen are distinguished while still being accessible to any audience. The direction holds a somewhat similar nuance, but doesn’t give enough trust to the viewer at times to understand the details Jenkins adds. 

Aside from Tish and Fonny’s romantic love, familial love is just a central to the narrative.

Tish’s mother Sharon, played by Angela Bassett, is the anchor of the family, holding everyone just meters from falling apart. Bassett’s performance in this film is a standout. Her Academy Award winning portrayal of this mother figure is one of the most captivating parts of the film. 

However, the strongest aspect of this film is the score. Nicholas Britell’s Academy Award nominated original score is hopeful, tragic and romantic at the same time, making for a complex range of emotions being conveyed through the music. 

The glass put between Tish and Fonny when Fonny is imprisoned is a heartbreaking visual reminder of the tragedies from racism that separate so many from their loved ones. That separation makes the moments when they are united in the past much more tragic yet refreshing. 

After the success of his second film, “Moonlight,” Jenkins followed it up with another success, this time mastering the art of adaptation.

Baldwin’s words come to life on screen, telling a story about the tragedies that pull love apart and combat it with hate. Yet, this film gives hope that love can prevail against all odds.